General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

2001 Civic Tranmission - Canadian Class Action Lawsuit?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Default 2001 Civic Tranmission - Canadian Class Action Lawsuit?

Hi all. Not surprisngly, I'm yet another 2001 Civic owner and my transmission is on the verge of breakdown. Unfortunately, Honda Canada is unwilling to partake in any "good will" for the replacement of my transmission as I am out of warranty and my mileage is about 110K miles.

I can understand if they don't want to help out if the issue is just a random component with no documented history of issues. Unfortunately, the 2001 Civic transmission issue is quite widespread already:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/C..._failure.shtml

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...a&model=Accord

http://www.hondaproblems.com/Civic/t...-failure.shtml

My gripe is, Honda is refusing to acknowledge a more and more widespread issue and a fundamental design/manufacture flaw with their transmission for the 2001 Civic and are leaving it in the laps of "out of warranty" owners. It's one thing to ignore owners with random component problems with no widespread evidence of failures - it's another thing to ignore an increasingly widespread issue that is affecting thousands of owners and refuse to take responsibility in their product.

Anyways, it appears that the US 2001 Civic owners may be preparing a class action lawsuit: hondacomplaints@gmail.com

As I am Canadian, I was wondering if there is a corresponding e-mail address for Canadian 2001 Civic owners that are planning a similar class action lawsuit in Canada. If there is, I would kindly appreciate it if somebody could supply me the contact e-mail address. FYI, I can be reached at unhappyhondaowner@gmail.com

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2009, 04:53 PM

My dad's gf's 2002 Accord had the same problem. Be pissed off all you want, but IMO getting sue-happy is just immature. You bought a car. The warranty expired. It broke down. Tough luck.

Did you have your transmission fluid changed at 30,000, 60,000, and 90,000 miles? If not, you will lose the case, as Honda's recommended service interval is 30,000 miles, and i'm sure they know more about transmissions than you or your lawyer to be able to present a good reason why not following the maintenance schedule could result in this.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 10-01-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Super Cereal Admin

^ exactly what he said.

The car is out of warranty. Unless you have documentation proving you had the transmission serviced at the recommended intervals by a Honda dealership, they don't have to do anything. Even if you had it serviced, they still don't have to do anything. It's out of warranty and lasted as long as Honda promised it would last.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
My dad's gf's 2002 Accord had the same problem. Be pissed off all you want, but IMO getting sue-happy is just immature. You bought a car. The warranty expired. It broke down. Tough luck.

Did you have your transmission fluid changed at 30,000, 60,000, and 90,000 miles? If not, you will lose the case, as Honda's recommended service interval is 30,000 miles, and i'm sure they know more about transmissions than you or your lawyer to be able to present a good reason why not following the maintenance schedule could result in this.
Yes. I've followed all Honda service schedule as required. Not just me, but if you review other 2001 Civic transmission failures here:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/C..._failure.shtml

- there are numerous other owners that have followed their service schedule at their Honda dealership and have also had transmission failures.

FYI, I've only noted the 2001 Civic with these issues. Surprise, surprise, the 2001 Accord also has widespread transmission issues:

http://www.hondaproblems.com/Accord/...-failure.shtml

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/Re...a&model=Accord

Old 10-01-2009, 05:19 PM

And this is how you treat long term customers who would like to continue to purchase products of your brand? By throwing them under the bus when there is proof of a widespread flaw with your product, even though they are "out of warranty"?

Sir/Maam, if you run a company, I would like to know which one because I will be more than happy to stay clear of your company's products.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:00 PM

FYI, you can be a mechanic with perfect maintenance of your 2001 Civic and still cannot avoid this widespread transmission issue:

I am a mechanic. After working on Honda's for several years, I decided to invest our money in our Honda Civic EX. This was our first real new car that my wife and I purchased together. I have maintained this car religiously. Every oil change has been done on time. All other maintenance including the automatic transmission service has been done on time. I had just done an oil change and inspection of the car the day before on Thursday. The very next day (yesterday/Friday the 23rd), my wife calls me frantically saying that our Civic just stopped accelerating while taking our 2 children to school. They were less than a mile from school so they had to run with backpacks and all the rest of the way to get there on time. I looked over the car and noticed that the transmission dipstick had popped out of the transmission and some of the fluid had leaked out. The fluid was not reddish orange like it should be. The fluid was a burnt black color. Su****ious, I got online and found this site along with others acknowledging the widespread problems with these transmissions. I called American Honda Cust Service and advised them that as a mechanic who has maintained the mechanicals of this vehicle to the very best standards, that I did not want to have to pay for a new transmission. I advised them that I could replace the transmission myself to avoid the expensive charges of the dealership, but that I wanted them to cover the cost of the transmission. I was advised that they will not deal with an outside mechanic and that they will only deal with a Honda Dealership service dept to fix the issue. The rep would not tell me what kind of compensation they could offer and that if I wanted anything at all, I would have to deal with the Dealer and a case manager would further contact me. At the mercy of Honda, I had to have the vehicle towed to the nearest Honda Dealer. I got a call today that confirmed what I already knew. TRANSMISSION FAILURE has occurred and it will cost me $2,895 to replace a transmission that has been properly maintained and only has 117k miles on it. Meanwhile, my wife is having to drive a rental car costing an additional $40/day, we were charged almost $100 for the tow truck, and the transmission won't be in for at least 3 days starting next week. HONDA NEEDS TO TAKE ACCOUNTABILITY FOR THIS WIDESPREAD PROBLEM! The exterior will be getting another complaint from us due to it's fragile nature.
http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/C...ailure-2.shtml

Old 10-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Honda has every right to build a crappy transmission, as long as it outlasts the warranty.

You have the right to buy a different brand of car next time.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:11 PM

I perfectly understand the situation and believe me, I do sympathize with you. I think it really sucks that your transmission took a crap, along with all these other people. I also think it sucks that Honda doesn't release a TSB for this. However, you aren't entitled to anything and that's just the way the world works. If I owned Honda, I would issue a TSB and have these problems fixed. However, I don't own Honda, and they don't have to do anything.

You can have a grudge against Honda from this if you want, but another company is probably just going to do the same thing. They want their cars to last, but they want you to sell it and buy a new one eventually. They aren't going to fix things out of the warranty, and for that reason. If they fixed every major problem a car develops, then they would never sell a second car to anyone.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 10-01-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:42 AM

I perfectly understand the situation and believe me, I do sympathize with you. I think it really sucks that your transmission took a crap, along with all these other people. I also think it sucks that Honda doesn't release a TSB for this. However, you aren't entitled to anything and that's just the way the world works. If I owned Honda, I would issue a TSB and have these problems fixed. However, I don't own Honda, and they don't have to do anything.

You can have a grudge against Honda from this if you want, but another company is probably just going to do the same thing. They want their cars to last, but they want you to sell it and buy a new one eventually. They aren't going to fix things out of the warranty, and for that reason. If they fixed every major problem a car develops, then they would never sell a second car to anyone.
Interestingly, a similar class action suit was filed against Honda for faulty transmissions in 2000-2001 Honda Accords, 1999-2001 Honda Odysseys, 2000-2001 Honda Preludes, 2001-2002 Acura 3.2 CL, 1999-2002 Acura 3.2 TL, and Honda lost that suit:

http://www.hondatransmissionsettleme...f/caht1faq.pdf

Looks like alot of "out of warranty" Accord, Prelude, Odyssey, and Acura owners were able to get Honda to cover the cost of their transmissions.

I assume Honda fought hard to keep Civics out of this settlement as that many more people own Civics.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:36 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I suppose it is not too hard to seat a jury of people who at some time in the past became upset because their cars broke down and required expensive major parts or buying a new car.

This isn't quite as silly as the other class action someone is trying against Honda about the A/C condensers being easily damaged by debris from the road, because they are mounted in the very front of the car. Being an engineer, you don't want me on that jury either.

Last edited by mk378; 10-02-2009 at 04:41 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Civic Tranmission - Canadian Class Action Lawsuit?