General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Just changed spark plugs(little help needed)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:40 PM
Question Just changed spark plugs(little help needed)

Hello, I've just changed all 4 spark plugs. This is my first time ever doing this so please let me know if I did this correctly. Its a 2002 1.7L EX. I used 4 NGK copper if hope it will help slightly with performance over the stock bosch platinumII. Is this right? Anyway for install I gave it about an hour to cool down. Put on antiseze; Did one at a time removing ignition coil then plug and then putting a new one in hand tight; then tightening from about 5oclock to 11oclock(stopped right when it seemed snug.) It starts still sounds good and runs smooth, but I'm afraid to drive it. The first time I ever changeed my oil on my geo metro I broke my AC and let out all of the freon instead of taking off the oil cap...

I did also check gap to .4in

Last edited by 7kyle7; 07-23-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:46 PM
HCF Member

You should be fine.. as long you don't over tighten it, like trying to kill it...

Old 08-02-2013, 05:50 AM

NGK is good. But you could have gone for Iridium 9. Those are costlier and even better.. So next time get those..

Old 08-28-2013, 11:46 AM
HCF Member

Next time you do something like this, buy a torque wrench and tighten the plugs down to specs. It sounds like you don't have a whole lot of wrench time and the torque wrench will help you get the feel of how tight things should actually be. Then over time, you'll get the feel of things. If you happen to overtighten something and end up stripping threads, you'll wish you'd invested in a torque wrench in the first place.
As far as the brand of spark plug goes, the little more you spend for a higher end plug just equates into its longevity. You can try all the different plugs you want, but all of the studies I've ever looked at tell you that they don't make a bit of difference in performance. You can read about this subject in Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc. and you'll see that there's no difference in performance from one brand to the next. The only difference might be in the fact you're going from an old dirty plug to a new one. Anyone who tells you that brand X will give you more performance and power should be selling snake oil.
Duane

Old 08-31-2013, 02:38 AM
HCF Member

bosch is definitely not aOEM plug honda only uses DENSO or NGK never use bosch in a honda. as stated above you definitely need a torqe wrench when it comes to plugs either under or over tightening can cause serious issues honda recommends 13ft/lbs. one thing you should do next time is to use some dielectric grease. as far as using iridium goes with the smaller center electrode you get a better spark using less power so it does lesson the load on your charging system.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Since you're doing the labor yourself there's no reason not to use the inexpensive stock type NGKs and replace them periodically. If you had to pay someone to install them it might be worth considering something that lasts longer, though more expensive.

I've seen a lot of Bosch Platinums where the little platinum tip fell out. Really can't recommend them for anyone. Also never use the gimick plugs with more than one side electrode. Several people have reported terrible results with those in their Civic.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:11 PM
HCF Member

actually theres even more benifit to using the more expensive longer lasting plugs if your doing it yourself as apose to paying someone to periodically replace cheaper plugs because not only are you saving money on labor but they last longer.