HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   lowering emissions help! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/lowering-emissions-help-81513/)

Kingoverace 03-10-2010 01:21 PM

lowering emissions help!

So failed the ol' emission test today.... wondering what I could do to lower it.. Does the magnaflow muffler and headers need to be replaced with stock...or is there a EGR system of some sort? any help/tips is cool...
Heres the data chart. 94 Civic EX auto VTec

Mode: IDLE-FAIL
GAS READING STANDARD
HC ppm 492 220
C0% 1.22 1.20
C02% 13.45
02% 0.95

RonJ 03-10-2010 01:27 PM

No EGR system.

You are running very rich. How old are the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor? Is the ignition timing set to spec? Any CEL codes?

Kingoverace 03-10-2010 01:49 PM

Ima check for codes right now....just bought the car used..... never changed plugs yet(always first rule when buying used)....
Does the HC ppm have anything to do with the cat? Or should I just plan on a generak tune-up? (oil,plugs,wires)

RonJ 03-10-2010 01:55 PM

Do a general tune up, including checking the ignition timing. If any codes are pulled, then reset ECU and drive car to see if the codes repeat.

A bad cat could also cause high emissions, but start with the basics.

Kingoverace 03-10-2010 02:01 PM

kk...cant do codes at the moment...ill have to hit Autozone....just realized my OBD2 is poiontless on a 94. but no visible CEL light....
whats best way to check ignition timing?

RonJ 03-10-2010 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
AutoZone won't pull OBDI codes. Use the jumper wire method - click CEL link in my signature. Does the CEL work?

Attachment 13275

SPLAT 03-10-2010 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Kingoverace (Post 702268)
So failed the ol' emission test today.... wondering what I could do to lower it.. Does the magnaflow muffler and headers need to be replaced with stock...or is there a EGR system of some sort? any help/tips is cool...
Heres the data chart. 94 Civic EX auto VTec

Mode: IDLE-FAIL
GAS READING STANDARD
HC ppm 492 220
C0% 1.22 1.20
C02% 13.45
02% 0.95

Just to let yo know, you have a header, not headers.
But back on topic, you say you have a aftermarket exhaust and header... do you still have a catalyst converter?

mk378 03-10-2010 04:40 PM

Yes the first thing would be to disconnect one end of the cat and look inside to make sure that it's a real one, not a hollow ebay "high flow cat", or a stock cat that's been hollowed out.

Also check that the CEL actually works, when you put the jumper in and turn the key on to try to read codes it should light up steady when there are no codes. If it never comes on at all there's probably no bulb in it.

Look for an aftermarket adjustable fuel pressure regulator, or ebay "chip" hooked up to the IAT sensor, either of those will make you run rich (without even increasing performance) so they should be removed and restored to stock. On the stock fuel pressure regulator, the small vacuum hose on the back needs to be connected to the intake manifold.