General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Mileage Wars!

Old 07-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Default RE: Mileage Wars!

Damn guys, you're sure incouraging me! I just took delivery of a new '06 sedan w/MT this past week end. I'm still on my first tank so I don't have a clue as to what I'll get in the long run. Here on the Texas Gulf Coast, it's hot and humid so running without AC, at least in the day time, is not an option but if I can get that 35 mpg some of you are quoting in my local (I always do some percentage of freeway running per tank) driving, I'll be tickled pink! I'll let you know what my break-in consumption is when I figure it out.

Wish me luck!
Steve R.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

just checked mine after driving alittle mostly town and some BAD highway traffic. only 26mpg DOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPP

Old 07-17-2006, 09:41 PM

Yep, urban traffic can be a mileage--and car--killer. It's rough on the engine and drivetrain, too.

If I leave work at the wrong time I'll get caught in stop and go traffice on the freeway, and I know it's rough on my engine, my clutch, and my soul. But I've gott tell you, I've had a real attitude adjustment and a lot better mileage since I came across this site a couple years back. It's about "traffic waves," and how YOU, as an individual driver, can control all of the traffic around you. Seriously, this sh...stuff works like magic, and let's you be in control of the traffic. I also know I'm using a lot less fuel and putting a lot less wear and tear on my ride when I apply these driving principles to high-volume traffic situations.

Check it out: http://www.amasci.com/amateur/traffic/traffic1.html

Old 07-17-2006, 09:45 PM

finalimpact said:

"88 crx hf bone stock
155/80/13's @ 45psi
short ram intake
53mpg"

Man, who needs batteries when you have lightweight and a well-designed engine/drivetrain and car. I bet she handled well, too, didn't she?

I'm running 36/34 front/rear in my 175/65/14s. Recommended is something like 32/32, but they squealed like a pig at that pressure. I'm scoping out some replacements right now, and I'll probably go for something all season/performance.

Old 07-19-2006, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

handled about as good as you could expect with skinny tires. that was by far the nicest yet slowest car i have ever driven. everything worked, i miss it

Old 07-19-2006, 08:21 PM

I know what you mean. About the most fun I've ever had was driving my 82 Civic DX--never a problem, always a joy, and 40+ mpg no matter what I did. My 67 MGB GT was also a blast, although it broke all the time. It was, however, easy to fix. One of my big paranoias with my MINI Cooper S (32 mpg of 93 octane, I have to point out) never failed me in 40K miles, but I kept waiting for the timing belt, clutch, supercharger, etc, to just go belly up and rip the whole thing apart.

There's something to be said for low-compression performance, peace of mind, and just a damn fun car.....

UPDATE: Heatwave across the county, so I've been using my AC--looks like at least a 5 mpg loss with the cool box sucking energy from my engine, so I'm down to about 36 mpg.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:26 AM

Well, filled her up for the first time yesterday after driving the original tank from the dealer down till the low fuel light came on. Just wanted to know when that would be. Two lights remaining on the fuel gauge, which was pretty much what I expected. Anyway, I squeezed in 11.8 gallons with the trip meter showing 290+ something (don't remember the "exact" numbers right now and am being too lazy to go out to get the log book) for an average of 24.9. I don't give this one any weight at all as I don't know if the car was truly full to begin with or if the odemeter was at 0 from the very start. Another thing that's encouraging for now is that the first light dropped off the full mark at around 25 miles wih the original tank. I'm coming up on 50 miles at this point and the gauge still reads 100% full. We'll see how it goes. Of course the car is still brand new, between 300 and 350 miles total so I expect things to only improve from here.

I'll let you know.

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:00 PM

Great idea with the logbook. I keep all my receipts and write the odo mileage on the top of them, then paperclip them together.

Yep, I expect as your green engine works in mpg will rise.

I used AC almost continuously on my last tank and only got 36.8 mpg, so now I'm driving at hwy speeds with my windows open to get a comparison vs windows closed and AC on.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:01 PM

no can beat my millage for a 98 ex coupe....17.5 [8D]

thts right i only get 17 1/2 MPG lol

it doesnt reli bother me tht much since its only 30 bucks to fill up. i do lay on the pedal alot so my vtec is just about always kicked in but i still think tht i could get a lil better thn tht

o well i still have fun with my car drifting around the neighborhood and such

Old 07-20-2006, 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: civicstealth

Great idea with the logbook. I keep all my receipts and write the odo mileage on the top of them, then paperclip them together.

Yep, I expect as your green engine works in mpg will rise.

I used AC almost continuously on my last tank and only got 36.8 mpg, so now I'm driving at hwy speeds with my windows open to get a comparison vs windows closed and AC on.
Gee, the best mileage I've "ever" gotton out of anything with four wheels is 36.6 and that was well up in the mountains, averaging 30-40 mph on very twisty roads. If I can get that kind of mileage down here at sea level, I'll be thrilled.

I am interested to here what kind of difference you get, if any, running the AC off and the windows open. Most of what I've heard on that subject through the years says that at freeway speeds, you're better off with the windows up and AC on. Around town driving is the other way around. Recently I found something that said the aerodynamics at 70 mph aren't as bad as some think and we'd all be better with the AC off, even at that speed. Please let us know what your results are, although I'll probably still run the AC. I've gotten too spoiled!

Drive Safe,
Steve R.

PS: BTW, the first light on the gas gauge dropped off at 75 miles. About 20 of that were highway. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what the actual numbers turn out to be. I'll let you know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mileage Wars!