HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   Need some advice. Opinions wanted! (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/need-some-advice-opinions-wanted-74877/)

greenMachine89 04-16-2009 12:28 PM

Need some advice. Opinions wanted!

Ok so I was lookin around and found an H22A for sale for about a thousand less than the B18C i was looking at...

I am wondering what the major differences are, aside from horsepower and torque, and why one would be better than the other.

Please give me your honest opinions and any facts you might have.. I want to buy the best motor I can buy for the money, and really dont have any experience with honda motors.

If you could consider the difficulty in installation that would be helpful, as I will be installing whatever engine I chose.

Also I plan to turbo this thing and have decided to go for about 300 hp as a target.

seph07 04-16-2009 01:28 PM

Hi, I don't know that much things on these engines but I think I'd take the B18C instead of the H22. Acura engines usually run faster (above 8000 RPM I think) than Honda except for the spoon that runs a lot greater xD

H22 may give more HP and less torque... So maybe it'll be easier to reach 200 HP qwith a H22 but your acceleration will be above under de B18....Last thing for you, I don't think a B18 is the right engine to get a turbo kit... Depending on the size...

So take this as an opinion because I don't have any facts to tell you xD I'd take e B18c

jprommel 04-16-2009 01:34 PM

.... you have no idea what ur saying lol the h22 has less hp and more tq

ej6buddy 04-16-2009 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by seph07 (Post 636976)
Hi, I don't know that much things on these engines but I think I'd take the B18C instead of the H22. Acura engines usually run faster (above 8000 RPM I think) than Honda except for the spoon that runs a lot greater xD

H22 may give more HP and less torque... So maybe it'll be easier to reach 200 HP qwith a H22 but your acceleration will be above under de B18....Last thing for you, I don't think a B18 is the right engine to get a turbo kit... Depending on the size...

So take this as an opinion because I don't have any facts to tell you xD I'd take e B18c

I can't follow one single thing in your post. Plus about 99.9% of it is incorrect.

jprommel 04-16-2009 01:37 PM

****ing french canadians

Superfly 04-16-2009 01:57 PM

I'd go with the H22a....and doesn't it have like 200+ HP stock? H22s in civics make me happy :cool:

greenMachine89 04-16-2009 03:41 PM

Well, I know a little bit about engines in general, and after hearing about the weak/thin cylinder walls in the H22a I have made up my mind.

B18C GSR motor is what i'm gonna go with. Lower compression than the Type R motor which is a good thing. I dont wanna have to walk on egg shells to tune this motor after throwing a turbo on it. Nor do I want to worry about the reliability with 11:1 compression turbo'd...

300 hp shouldn't be a problem either. 180hp stock and i'll spend about $3000 on the turbo kit as well.

Is there any websites out there that give audio clips of the exhaust sounds from their different types of exhuast kits for sale? I wanna buy something but dont wanna purchase it if its gonna make my car sound like a remote control airplane

Superfly 04-16-2009 04:17 PM

Oh....I change my vote to the b18c too after reading you want to turbo...

good choice ;)

ej6buddy 04-16-2009 04:34 PM

Why not resleeve with an h2b kit and piece together a kit (or supercharge)?

greenMachine89 04-16-2009 04:44 PM

well, mainly because this is a project that me and my step father are completing ourselves... we're good mechanics but when it comes to technical stuff such as sleeving cylinders and doing transmission swaps and such, we fall short.

also i was hoping to have pulled the engine out, replaced it with the new one and have the car running in a weekends worth of work.. (turbo kit and other bolt ons will come later)

It is my daily driver, and it is my only vehicle so without it i wouldnt be able to get to work and back.

I think the b18c is an excellent engine, its a fairly simple swap to complete and with the proper tuning i could have a nice, fast vehicle that is reliable (with proper care) not taking anything away from the h22a but it just seems to be more trouble than its worth.. however the torque is nice...

ej6buddy 04-16-2009 05:08 PM

B18c is a better choice for you then, it takes abuse a little better than a h22.

As for the h2b swap, it's not really a transmission swap, it's just an adapter that allows the use of a b series transmission (preferably b16) with the h series block. It's much more simple than modifying for an h series transmission. Only con is cost. As for a sleeving job, it's nice to know people if you're in the business, so I understand.

seph07 04-17-2009 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by ej6buddy (Post 636980)
I can't follow one single thing in your post. Plus about 99.9% of it is incorrect.

I don't know if it's because french canadians are not ricers, but here a B18 is usually not having 300 HP... We use bigger engines to reach 300 HP. And we don't install turbo kits on civic !?!

I know one kind of B18 that can reach 300 Hp without being a rice : Frankenstein... Perhaps you guys think different...

Civic 95 + 300 HP B18 Turbo 15 PSI = Ricer
Civic 2005 + 200 HP without turbo kit = Nice car
Civic 2009 + 300 HP Supercharged = very nice car

ej6buddy 04-18-2009 05:46 AM

^ Again, I can't really follow some of your post. Phrases such as "here a b18 is usually not having 300hp" isn't grammatically correct. And we don't care that you're french canadian, it's just that no one can understand you because you can't type. And if you think you can reach 300 hp with a b18 lsv, then you don't know anything in the first place. And why are you comparing cars that are 10 years apart from one another? No one really cares about your tastes of cars here. Efficiency is what it's all about, if you say you have to use a bigger engine to reach 300hp in canada, then that's just sad. period.

2000Ex 04-18-2009 01:51 PM

You made the right decision. H22 are just beasts in civics, like bad beasts. Really heavy on the front axel and way more problems than sticking with the 1.8l

ej6buddy 04-18-2009 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2000Ex (Post 637346)
You made the right decision. H22 are just beasts in civics, like bad beasts. Really heavy on the front axel and way more problems than sticking with the 1.8l

^ Again, now you need to read up on some knowledge, lol. With the correct suspension setup, you wouldn't have any more problems than you would with a 1.8 liter.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=684550

jpnolan 04-18-2009 02:06 PM

Wait what car is this going into? That will make it alot easier for us to help you. If you have an ef you will not do the h22. Trust me lol.

2000Ex 04-18-2009 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by ej6buddy (Post 637349)
With the correct suspension setup,

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=684550

hell you could put a 4l in there if you wanted to. I'm just saying the 1.8l is easier.

trustdestruction 04-18-2009 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by seph07 (Post 637243)
I know one kind of B18 that can reach 300 Hp without being a rice : Frankenstein... Perhaps you guys think different...

Civic 95 + 300 HP B18 Turbo 15 PSI = Ricer

You're a retard and you have once again proved you have no idea what you are talking about. Also, what does the specific PSI have to do with being rice? What does any of that have to do with rice?

Originally Posted by 2000Ex (Post 637352)
hell you could put a 4l in there if you wanted to. I'm just saying the 1.8l is easier.

He was pointing out that it's not heavier on the front axle by enough to make a difference. You said that it was really heavy. He proved you wrong.

plethoric33 04-19-2009 11:04 AM

This the single most ignorant thread on this entire forum. By far. Seph07 is making all of us dumber with every post he makes.

NIKE H34D 04-19-2009 12:38 PM

seph!!!!!!!!!!! you and low life should jsut go have buttsex already

SPLAT 04-19-2009 02:27 PM

Get the H2B kit, its worth all the money.

Evolution is the name of the company that make's this kit
http://www.swapshopracing.com/index1.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP1sC...eature=related

reaper2022 04-19-2009 05:22 PM

... God this thread makes me want to punch a baby. Seph... I don't care if you're new to cars or if you've been playing the game for 20 years. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't f**king post. Spreading misinformation is one thing I absolutely hate. Do you know anything about Honda engines? An LSV thrown together might make 300hp... for about a year. After that, you're looking at a full engine rebuild because without the proper supporting modifications, the LSV is junk. And trust me, when you start doing the supporting modifications to one, you're more or less better off swapping a B18C since it'll be cheaper. And how exactly is a 300whp turbo'd EG rice? I'd LOVE to hear that logic. As far as I'm concerned (and if any 8th gen owners get offended, good for you; I don't care) anything after 2000 is an embarrassment to the Civic name. 7th/8th gen civics are huge and look nothing like a civic should. Oh, and do you know what the "18" and "22" in B18 and H22 stand for? It's displacement. A b18 is 1.8L compared to the H22's 2.2L. So what you're saying is you suggest he swap in the smaller motor (your first post) but then you go on to say that swapping one in would be rice because it's a smaller engine?

2000EX, all I'm going to say is don't believe everything you hear; an H22 long block is a scant 30lbs heavier than a B16, which is even lighter than a B18. In other words, a turbocharged B18 is actually heavier than an all-motor H22, and the heavy turbo and manifold both place the weight in more or less the worst possible place as far as handling goes; a foot ahead of the axles. Also, what problems are you talking about with the H22? The swap is on about the same level as a B18 swap; if you have the right mounts and axles, it's almost literally a drop-in swap (it requires the same amount of wiring as a b18c).

OP, my vote's for the H22 Type-S... 220bhp and a ton of torque is better than 180bhp and a whopping what, 130ft/lbs of torque?

greenMachine89 04-20-2009 01:58 PM

Yeah i have an EF, its actually got an aftermarket suspension kit put on it, but i dont like it much... the ride is so rigid i get headaches on the way to work. I can take a corner like a sonofaB though.

The car was originally built as a bandit series race car, a local race circuit that allows 4 cylinder engines only. After the previous owner blew up the b16a he had in it he replaced the old d15 and sold it to me...

2000Ex 04-25-2009 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by reaper2022 (Post 637538)

2000EX, all I'm going to say is don't believe everything you hear; an H22 long block is a scant 30lbs heavier than a B16, which is even lighter than a B18. In other words, a turbocharged B18 is actually heavier than an all-motor H22, and the heavy turbo and manifold both place the weight in more or less the worst possible place as far as handling goes; a foot ahead of the axles. Also, what problems are you talking about with the H22? The swap is on about the same level as a B18 swap; if you have the right mounts and axles, it's almost literally a drop-in swap (it requires the same amount of wiring as a b18c).

OP, my vote's for the H22 Type-S... 220bhp and a ton of torque is better than 180bhp and a whopping what, 130ft/lbs of torque?

I was just repeating what was the consensus on this sight a year or two or three ago. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. :)

trustdestruction 04-25-2009 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by 2000Ex (Post 638693)
I was just repeating what was the consensus on this sight a year or two or three ago. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. :)

I think Reaper was a little aggravated not because of you but because of this other guy going around our site spreading misinformation about the H22 and not listening to reasoning or anything and insisting that he knew he was right.

2000Ex 04-25-2009 12:59 AM

yea, no biggie. im not upset. I know im not the smartest person on the webternet. I don't think he was rude to me either. Just saying I only wrote something that I "learned" on this very website. But it has a been a long time since I was an active member.

315 Customs 04-25-2009 04:30 AM

You'll need to cut the hood or have a custom hood made up if you put a H22 in an EF.

My opinion the B18 is a much better option because its an easier install and if you spend the difference in price, that you saved from buying the H22, in mods on the B18 you will be faster then the stock H22.

B series FTW. This is just my opinion though, its your car spend the money how YOU want your car to be.

reaper2022 04-25-2009 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2000Ex (Post 638697)
yea, no biggie. im not upset. I know im not the smartest person on the webternet. I don't think he was rude to me either. Just saying I only wrote something that I "learned" on this very website. But it has a been a long time since I was an active member.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be rude or anything, just correcting. And yeah, HCF had next to no real information on h22's up until a year or two ago... we've been working on that lol

*edit: Kev, the h22 and b18c will be the same price to swap in... I'm not sure about the difficulty in an EF, but I'd imagine it's about the same.