HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   Need a used Civic for wife...questions (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/need-used-civic-wife-questions-47396/)

mikeee2 07-03-2007 05:13 PM

Need a used Civic for wife...questions

Hi all,

I am looking for a used civic for my wife. My budget is in the range of3,500 to 7,500 (give or take). Just looking for a used car for her to learn. She has her license but never drives and she aint touching my car. :)

For that price, can I aim for the 7th generation (2001-2005)? Requirements are (automatic and power windows...that's about it I think). Any particular year from the 7th generation I should avoid? With that budget, or I should look at the 6th generation (1996-2000). I am also considering maybe looking at corollas or sentras.

Perferably, mileage is under 100k. Obviously something in the 50 - 60k miles would be better. Oh, last but not least, perferably a stock car (I know civics get modded all the time).

Thanks...

jd352 07-03-2007 07:36 PM

RE: Need a used Civic for wife...questions

I got my2001 ex coupefor 7500 with 89,000 miles. so it might be, but i also bought that at a dealer. if you find a private seller you could get one for less. the automatic trans in the 7th gens from 2001-2003 were said to have issues with the clutch pack carrier causings gears to slip and eventually fail. Look for when test driving gear slipping from gears 2 to 3. If it does, don't buy it the trans could go out at any time. However, I have 96000 on it now and no problems with the trans.

Tater 07-03-2007 07:48 PM

right now in michigan you can get like 2000 civic for like $4500
no clue on details but close to what you want. :)

mikeee2 07-03-2007 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: jd352

I got my2001 ex coupefor 7500 with 89,000 miles. so it might be, but i also bought that at a dealer. if you find a private seller you could get one for less. the automatic trans in the 7th gens from 2001-2003 were said to have issues with the clutch pack carrier causings gears to slip and eventually fail. Look for when test driving gear slipping from gears 2 to 3. If it does, don't buy it the trans could go out at any time. However, I have 96000 on it now and no problems with the trans.
Hmm.....interesting. Thanks for the heads up. 2001 is the first year. I guess the first couple years usually have more issues. Would getting a 2000 (last of the 6th generation be better?). Since all the problems should of been tuned out. Then again it'll be used and who knows what it'sbeen through all these years.

jd352 07-03-2007 08:21 PM

the 2000's are some of the best civics around IMO. Great looking and just as good as a 7th gen in your price range.I just got what I got bc it was a frivilous decision that worked out in the end and lucked out. The best is to really look up private sellers in the area, they will be the cheapest vs. the dealer, but will offer no warranty. look on craigslist for local cars and see whats available. keep an eye on it quite often and you are bound to find yourself a great deal. craigslist also allows dealers to post so you will also see what they have to offer... but always remember, if its almost too good to be true, than it probably is. Always make sure you get a carfax report on the car, but im probably babbling on about stuff you already know.

mikeee2 07-03-2007 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: jd352

the 2000's are some of the best civics around IMO. Great looking and just as good as a 7th gen in your price range.I just got what I got bc it was a frivilous decision that worked out in the end and lucked out. The best is to really look up private sellers in the area, they will be the cheapest vs. the dealer, but will offer no warranty. look on craigslist for local cars and see whats available. keep an eye on it quite often and you are bound to find yourself a great deal. craigslist also allows dealers to post so you will also see what they have to offer... but always remember, if its almost too good to be true, than it probably is. Always make sure you get a carfax report on the car, but im probably babbling on about stuff you already know.
The 6th and 7th generation look pretty similar to me. The front headlight is bigger on the 6th generation. The styling isn't too important since it'll be my wife's car and she can care less how the car looks as long as it has 4 wheels...:D. Just needed a reliable used car with good gas mileage.

Yeah, I am currently checking on craigslist but just wanted to post on this forum since you guys are the civic experts. If you didn't tell me about the gear issue on 7th G civic's, I would be clueless.