General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Old Honda owners Please help me.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Default Old Honda owners Please help me.

I've had my 1989 Civic DX since I found her as a leftover on a Honda lot in 1990. We have done all of the maintenance including regular oil changes and timing belts. EVERY gallon of gas and ALL work has been documented since day one. Currently she has 243,240.8 miles on her and is being attacked by terrorists. It all began in a parking lot. Usually I walk to the market, but that day I drove. To make a long story short, she was assaulted by a F-150 and got a small dent worth $1630.00 and his insurance company says the car is only worth $1100. They want to total it. I WANT MY CAR FIXED. I wouldn't sell this car for $4000 because it is worth more than that to me. I plan on this car taking me another 250,000 miles like I know she will. The terrorists say they will negotiate with me if I can prove she is worth more than $1100. Well you can buy '89 Civics for $800 all day long, but you sure as Hell can't buy mine, or yours, for $1100. The only way I can think of to prove her worth is to have others like me whose Hondas are not for sale explain how much it would take to get their Hondas away from them. Anyone that can help me with a paragraph would be greatly appreciated. You'd have to include some kind of contact info and be willing to talk to the insurance company if they were to call. Please include Year of Honda, Mileage, and how much I'd have to pay you to wrestle your baby away. You can e mail to dmello1@yahoo.com or snail to Michele Swanello, P.O. Box 36, Myrtle Point Or. 97458. My car and I thank you!

Old 07-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Default RE: Old Honda owners Please help me.

[sm=bs.gif]Terrorists?

Old 07-02-2008, 07:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take the "terrorists" to court or request that an arbitrator decides the case. Bring all your well prepared documentation and arguments to court/arbitration. Have you requested your insurance company's assistance in this matter?

Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 AM

I really dont want to go to court over a car.... lol but maybe thats just me.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

If the F-150's insurance company won't listen to reason, then it may be your only recourse for getting justice. Contact your insurance company for assistance and advice. It's a simple phone call.

Old 07-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Defintiely talk to your insurance company about this. Remember the other guy's company is paid to work for the other guy, not you. If the other company wants to total your car, you want to "retain the salvage". Your car is officially totaled, but you get to keep it. You'll get a check for $1100 minus the value of your car as scrap metal, which is probably less than $300. You get a mark on the title which will kill your resale value (but it was none to begin with). You don't have to fix the dent at all. What you do with the money is up to you.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

Defintiely talk to your insurance company about this. Remember the other guy's company is paid to work for the other guy, not you. If the other company wants to total your car, you want to "retain the salvage". Your car is officially totaled, but you get to keep it. You'll get a check for $1100 minus the value of your car as scrap metal, which is probably less than $300. You get a mark on the title which will kill your resale value (but it was none to begin with). You don't have to fix the dent at all. What you do with the money is up to you.

just like this guy said, if you really dont plan on selling the car then have them total it. Buy it back and just fix it with the left over cash. There is no way your going to pay that much to fix a small dent and you get to pocket the change.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

My belief is that, with persistence, you can make the F150's insurance company pay to have the damage repaired without any out of pocket expense. Isn't this the bottom line?

Old 07-02-2008, 12:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You can try to negotiate anything. May not apply here if the car was parked, but generally when you're cool about not claiming bodily injury (where the real money is lost) the companies will be more generous on property damage.

It really helps if you have "full coverage" from your company because then they will help you get it from the other company rather than pay it themselves.