General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

ooooh that smell

Old 12-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Default ooooh that smell

alright everyone.....i need help!

i'm posting in this section because i'm not sure how often people read the detailing section. anyway, my civic has got serious smell issues. it only happens anytime i use water to clean the floormats. my boyfriend is now a detailer for a honda dealership, and he washed my car for me yesterday. while he was at it, he decided to shampoo the two front floormats, and then he sprayed their air freshener all over them. all day and night yesterday the car smelled fine. we got in it this afternoon and oh my god. it smells like rotting garbage, no joke. it's disgusting. the mats are completely dry now and now they just reek. i'm starting to wonder if now i'm going to have to buy new floormats. the car is only 5 years old, and i can't figure out what this smell is. it definitely isn't a musty smell like mold, but seriously smells like someone left garbage in the car. is there anything i can use on the mats without hurting the dye or the fabric? i've thought about putting them in the bathtub with super hot water and baking soda and leaving them overnight, but dunno if that will screw them up. any help is desperately wanted and if anyone can identify the source of the "funk", that is also greatly wanted. thx.

Old 12-25-2005, 09:41 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: ooooh that smell

lol umm check for fish and diapers under the seats lol... And bathing the floor mats in baking soda should not hurt the color at all.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:22 PM
HCF Member

if your boyfirend is a detailer and tryed to clean them and he couldent get the smell out..i dont think its coming out, i was going to say pressure wash them down,get a scrubby and scrub them down with head and sholders shampoo (it sounds weard but it works to get tuff stans out and smells good) and just pressure was the soap off and vacume the water off...personally i would just go get a new set tho, looks like you guys tried hard already to get that smell out

Old 12-25-2005, 11:44 PM

thanks for your input guys. the mats are soaking in a baking soda bath as i type. the thing that is weird is the smell doesn't surface until after they've dried. i've had to leave them outside in the sun for 3 days to get the smell to leave. then as soon as they get wet and dry again, that horrible smell comes back. i'll see if the baking soda works. i'm planning on switching my whole interior to black anyway, so maybe this is just a sign to get started on that project with some new black mats!

Old 12-26-2005, 12:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

^^^^there ya go

Old 12-26-2005, 07:21 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 05 civic

lol umm check for fish and diapers under the seats lol...
lol thats the first thing i thought of
1 time i shoved a fish under my buddys seat ---took him about a week to figure it out[:'(]

Old 12-26-2005, 10:41 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AOL.COM

1 time i shoved a fish under my buddys seat ---took him about a week to figure it out[:'(]
Ha ha ha that must of smelled horrible

Old 12-27-2005, 09:30 AM

ORIGINAL: 05 civic

ORIGINAL: AOL.COM

Ha ha ha that must of smelled horrible
wasnt that on grumpy old men? usually i just rip a fart in my mums hybrid and hope its still there by the time she gets in.