HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   plastics/moldings refurb. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/plastics-moldings-refurb-69592/)

Ninetytoocivichatch 09-07-2008 07:58 AM

plastics/moldings refurb.

Hey all. I have a 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback. This hatch has been in the family since 1992, and I've had it since 1997. This little car has over 300K miles on it, and it's my baby. At one time, I had a Greddy TD04 turbo kit (BOV, intercooler, etc, etc.), but blew two motors doing it; only boosted 8lbs!!! Anyways, I put a rebuilt stock motor (crate from Japan), rebuilt stock tranny, kept the Exedy Stage-2 clutch, all new interior, new wheels/tires, new suspension, new paint, new seals, etc.

This is what I'm doing right now:

I took off my side moldings, mud flaps, etc. The side moldings brand new were a couple hundred bucks. I didn't want to spend the few hundred to replace them, but needed something because they are badly weathered. I pulled them off and I'm going to paint them black and put a clear coat on them. My buddy told me to get some scotch brite, soap, and rubbing alcohol. He said I can get those babies looking brand new. I will post pics and let you guys know how it turned out. Hopefully my baby will be done here shortly. It's been a long time coming. Great to be on the forum here. Seems like I'm w/ a bunch of good guys.

trustdestruction 09-07-2008 10:00 AM

You blew two motors with 8lbs of boost? Did you not get a tune?

addiction2bass 09-07-2008 10:37 AM

i guess not.LOL had alittle to much fun to soon with the setup!
i like it when the moldings are painted to match the car, BUT you do have to sand the moldings smooth and ruffed up to let paint stick to it....

Ninetytoocivichatch 09-07-2008 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction (Post 587629)
You blew two motors with 8lbs of boost? Did you not get a tune?

yeah, had it tuned at a local speedshop. I turbo'd a motor w/ damn near 300K on it (I knew i was going to blow that out sooner or later). Then I got a motor from Japan, which we think was goofed in the first place. I contacted the dude and told him he gave me a crappy motor (no questions asked, send it back and we'll get you a new one). Nevertheless, I needed a good commuter, so I've kept the engine stock.

trustdestruction 09-07-2008 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ninetytoocivichatch (Post 587640)
I turbo'd a motor w/ damn near 300K on it (I knew i was going to blow that out sooner or later)

yea, that'll do it
lol

NIKE H34D 09-07-2008 01:34 PM

Lol get some pics up and yeah i like the moldings to match too looks cleaner

Ninetytoocivichatch 09-07-2008 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by NIKE H34D (Post 587658)
Lol get some pics up and yeah i like the moldings to match too looks cleaner

I definitely will. The primer is drying as I type. I hope to have all my parts (cosmetic parts) in sometime this week. I will get pics up by then.