General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Please help.. need to remove my door panel

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 06:51 PM
Default Please help.. need to remove my door panel

Ok, I've looked everywhere, and I figure if anyone can help me it would be you guys, so here goes.

I own a 2001 LX 4 door, and I need to install a set of 6.5" speakers into the front and back as well... I saw guide in the DIY section for the rear ones, and I will give that a shot, though i'm not sure if i will run into any problems, as i drive a 7th gen, and the guide was not designed for 7th gens.

First of all, I have no clue how to get the front door panel off, and I didn't just want to start pulling and break something, I talked to a local stereo store about what to do, and ofcourse they told me they would have to do it themselves, and would charge me an $80 installation fee, they did mention that they used a tool to get some sort of clips off.. i was wondering if this: http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/produ...cat=328&page=1 was what they are talking about... can anyone please help

I know this is my first post, and I also know this may not be in the right section, I am desperately in need of some help though, and would appreciate anything.... thank you in advance

Edit: didn't know if this would help but i have some pics of my door

First pic: passanger door overview
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/3021/img0076iv3.jpg

Second: Arm rest close up, no apparent screws...?
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/7492/img0077tr6.jpg

Third: Speaker cover grille... also no screws..?
http://img475.imageshack.us/img475/2972/img0078yg3.jpg

Fourt: Door handle.. you guessed it, no screws
http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/4978/img0079qk7.jpg

Fifth: Door hinge... didn't know if this would help at all
http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/826/img0080ek0.jpg

Old 08-07-2006, 12:50 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Please help.. need to remove my door panel

Well i bet there is a screw under that little flap oon thee door handle get a flat head and put it at the top and pull down and i bet there is a screw under that.....IMO

Old 08-07-2006, 09:12 AM
HCF Member

+1^
Get that screw out
Start at the bottom of the panel. Pull there will be at least 4 clips at the bottom. Ease the bottom part away from the door and pull the panel up. Watch at the door handle and lock for pieces holding you back. Watch out for any associated wiring hiding behind.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

Here is how I did it on my 2002 DX (no power door locks, power windows, or power mirrors) ...

1 - Look in the handle / arm rest area. There is a little square flap with a tiny square hole on the top - just the right size for a small flat head screw driver. Pry that up to reveal a screw. Take that screw out and remove the handle / arm rest.

2 - Behind the arm rest are two more screws. Remove those.

3 - Look in the door handle and remove the flap. There should be two screws behind there. Remove them. The handle will now hang out, and behind it is a rod that's attached to the handle by a little clip. Swing the clip out to unclip it from the rod and then pull the rod up to remove it from the hole.

4 - Roll your window down part way (or all the way) until you can see the under side of the crank. There is a little flat hole along the bottom just wide enough to fit a small flat head screwdriver in. Through this hole is a little U shaped clip that holds the crank to the **** that rolls the window up/down. Pry the clip off with the flat head screw driver. Pull the crank off revealing the ****.

5 - Not sure if this part is necessary but it helped.. Look at the area around your mirror adjuster. On the back side take the small flat head screw driver and pry the molding away from the door - it is only two metal clips that hold it on.

6 - Now all the screws / pieces that hold the door are off except the little clips. Start on the back side of the door closest to the mirror. Take your hand and pull the panel off. I don't see why they say you need a special tool for this? Don't worry about the clips they will pop right out, but you might have to pull pretty hard the first time (I just yanked away!)... Slowly work your way down the side of the door, along the bottom, and around the other side.

7 - Once it is unclipped it will just be hanging there by the lip on the window. I found it easiest if the window was all the way down to pull the left side of the panel up and slide the panel away from the front of the car then lift it off. Because I don't have power anything there was nothing hooked to the door to stop it from just putting it aside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I see from looking at your door you have power windows... so step 4 isn't necessary - except maybe rolling the window down. I can't tell exactly from looking at the arm rest photo but it might not have the srew there... and I don't see why prying the molding off around the power mirror would hurt?? Basically just look for anything that looks like there is a hidden screw behind it and take it out. Also, like I said don't worry about the plastic clips that hold the door on... they are pretty durable and you don't need any special tool.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:55 AM

thank you very much for all the help, i will give it a shot today