General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

question.... would anything bad happen if i blocked off the AC location, front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default question.... would anything bad happen if i blocked off the AC location, front bumper?

just like it says.... im curious if ya think anything bad would happen if i blocked off the AC side of my engine bay where the AC condencer is suposed to be?

ive noticed QUITE A BIT of road salt geting kicked up infront of my engine all over the front of my valve cover... so im curious if i block off the AC side from the front bumper opening would that hurt anything?

i hate washing my engine bay and like to keep it as clean as i can..
and yes i do have all my underbody splash guards... but the road salt is still geting all over the front of the motor

i dont think it would hurt anything. i would keep the radiator side open of course. and since i dont have AC on my car i dont see it being a problem blocking that side off.

Old 03-08-2008, 04:38 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: question.... would anything bad happen if i blocked off the AC location, front bumper?

Yep i dont know a good reason why that would be a problem. But how do you plan on blocking it? and with what

Old 03-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: question.... would anything bad happen if i blocked off the AC location, front bumper?

probably just simply steel or fiberglass or maybe even some plexiglass /plate and some small self taping screws to hold it to the radiator support....
it doesnt have to be completly sealed..... mainly just a wind breaker to at least keep the splash/kick up from vehicles infront of me.
cause my passenger side behind the radiator looks pretty clean.... i figure thats just because the air is geting slowed down by the radiator fins some so it doesnt have as much mist/splashed water/road salt going all the way thru it.....

shouldnt be to hard to do but i do need to buy new bolts to hold my bumper on because 3 of the bolts have striped screw heads so i figure ill have to drill and use some vis grips to unscrew them. that way i can pull the bumper off and access the front easier. would be alot easier secure it.

the 94 doesnt have AC so its not a important opening. ive thought about adding AC to it but thats just a MAYBE. depends what all parts are missing from mine and what parts i can get from my friends 94civic that he is removing the AC from. free is free at least.....

Old 03-08-2008, 05:38 PM
HCF Member

Wont a big plastic thing create more drag on high speeds? maybe if its sloped or something

Old 03-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well not much more than the car already has......it still has a drag. air flowing thru the bumper opening and then forced around the engine bay.. ill have to see what it looks like behind the bumper to how flat the area is... i guess if it looks to flat i could always just give it some downward angles. time will tell when i get the front bumper off. but i have to buy new bolts first.

i could just block it behind the grill i want to get.
i do like the style of billet grill but probably not the outter pieces because id like to get some fog lights for the car. tho i do like a more black grill style.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:19 PM
HCF Member

That grill does look real nice.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It would be no problem to block it off. If you want A/C you can take all the required parts off of your friend's car and make it like it came without A/C from the dealer. He would only need to install the bypass duct from your car to connect the fan to the heater box. And the little plastic cover over the button on the control panel.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i just got no clue what all my car has on it.... I ASUME it had AC because it is a EX. id asume it would have AC on it being a EX model... i just asumed the previous owner riped it off to turbo the motor... but i could be wrong...
i got a guy that has a whole thing suposedly i think he told me like 180bucks shiped for everything or the most of it at least....
but first id have to find a place and quote to have the ac system charged..... depending on that price depends if i do put a AC system on the car.LOL

gotta stop by dealership tomorow to pick up those new bumper bolts.

Old 03-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Well obviously you don't have a condenser, compressor has almost certainly been removed, but look behind the battery and if you see an aluminum block with two holes leading thru the firewall, you do still have an evaporator. Though it would be best to just replace the evaporator if it has been sitting open for years because it could have dirt and water in it that will eat up your compressor.

When you put used parts on be sure to replace all the O-rings, also buy a new receiver drier and install it last just before evacuating and charging. Try to spin the old oil out of the compressor before putting it on the car and pour in some new oil. Many of the quick oil change places have started to offer A/C evacuate and charge service for cheap but you may end up with what you pay for. Or you can got to a parts store buy a gauge manifold (about $80) a couple cans of R134a, and rent or borrow their vacuum pump and do it yourself.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya i know about replacing all the seals... ive charged several chevy cars AC systems when they get low but not a complete charge tho.
but the AC is still on the back of my mind and thats it so far.... my 99civic has AC so if i really need it i can always just drive the other civic.LOL ill be insuring them both as soon as spring or these pot holes get filled good! till then the 99 is still on storage insurance and parked. and now i found out that my optima battery has gone bad now it wont hold a charge over night anymore. but that battery has been in 4 vehicles now.LOL so its lived a long life. ill just have to buy a new one.

and well unfortuantly i had to order those bolts cause dealership didnt have them instock. so im not going to try pulling the bumper till they come in...