General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

new Si sedan or mazdaspeed 3?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 09:14 AM
HCF Member
Default new Si sedan or mazdaspeed 3?

thinking of replacing my 99 lx...can you guys place your opinions/comments re: these 2 new pocket rockets...thanks!!

Old 12-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Ben
Default RE: new Si sedan or mazdaspeed 3?

The si imo will be more reliable, and looks way better. The Mazda is faster, and I believe turbo or supercharged? (correct me if im wrong) So it really depends on what you're going for, performance, or looks.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Default RE: new Si sedan or mazdaspeed 3?

I went through a similar process. I drove the Civic Si coupe/sedan many times, the Mazdaspeed3 (MS3) many times and the GTI once.

The MS3 is a rocket ship. You hit the gas pedal and this car takes off. I loved it.
The Si feels like a more precise tool, but the power doesn't come on until 6,000 RPM, but it is sweet from 6-8000. The clutch/tranny combo is the best I've ever driven.
The GTI feels more refined, more like a BMW. It's pretty fast, smooth and quiet.

I dropped the GTI because of very poor VW reliability.
I dropped the Si because of too much exhaust noise. I don't mind it when I'm "on it", but I don't want to hear it all the time.
I almost bought the MS3, but after a lengthy test drive, I couldn't stand listening to the exhaust (rumble, rumble, boom, boom).

But I'm OLD for these cars (almost 60). Most young people (the people these cars are designed for) like rumble.

In terms of raw fun and excitement, I would rate them MS3, Si, GTI.

So it boils down to what you like. If you don't mind exhaust noise and a rough ride and you love power, the MS3 is for you. It'll bring a smile to your face every time you get on it.
If you prefer handling and a more precise feel and don't mind revving the engine to get power, the Si is for you. The 6 speed is slicker than a BMW 3 series.
If taking your car to the dealer doesn't bother you and you want a great small performance sedan, the GTI might be for you. This car has a dual personality. It goes fast when you want and cruises quietly when you want to relax.

These are exceptional cars. If you buy "stripper" versions, you get great bang for the buck ($22K - $23K). If they were designed for middle-aged people, I would have bought the MS3 Thursday.

I hope that helps.

Demosthenes