General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Rear License Plate Attachment

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:36 AM
Default Rear License Plate Attachment

I recently traded-in an '08 Civic EX, and I put some of my ownership experiences up in the newbies section. I just want to comment on one area where I think Honda really dropped the ball, the rear plate mounting. I always enclose the plate in a simple frame. My Civic did not provide for securing the bottom portion of the plate. This meant the plate and frame always banged against the painted trunk lid. This is a significant oversight which I hope Honda has corrected.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM
HCF Member

Don't know if they've corrected it, I'll have to look at my daughter's new '12 EX in the morning. I know on my '05 I had the same problem. I bought some foam weatherstripping tape and put it on the back of the plate/frame assembly at the bottom and that stopped the rattling. You'd think they'd think of these little things. Another problem I see that all dealers should take into consideration is the use of plated steel license plate screws. Look at the car in front of you sometime and you'll see the rusty screws with the telltale rust lines down the plate. I bought a box of exact replacement Stainless Steel screws at Fastenal and have replaced all of them on my 4 vehicles and have even done a few relatives and friends when they stop by and I see the rust. Really makes a big difference to the trained eye.
Duane

Old 10-16-2012, 06:31 AM

Auto Zone sells a kit to fix this but my frame has no bottom screw holes. What the kit does is bolt the frame to the bottom holes on the plate with screws inside bushings. It also has bushings for the top screws (that mount the plate) but they are't long enough in my case to secure the plate.

I may try the weatherstripping.