General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Ready To Purchase A New Car - Guidance Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Default Ready To Purchase A New Car - Guidance Needed

Hey guys,

I've been having some problems with my 1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan and I have decided to get rid of it and buy a BRAND NEW car.

Now, I love the looks and feel of the new Civic. However, I've heard some negative reports on this board about problems people have been having...

What would you guys suggest? I don't drive my car to race..I basically want it to get to work, college, and hockey. I don't want the SI or some crazy speed demon with mods and stuff..just a nice car...

would it be smart to buy the New civic? I really like the car but I've heard people having problems with them..would it be better to spend a little bit more for an accord?

or would it just be smarter to go with a different company?

thanks so much for your help

Old 02-25-2006, 10:09 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Ready To Purchase A New Car - Guidance Needed

How about a Civic Hybrid? It isn't fast but it gets really good gas milage so i think it would be a pretty good DD. If you wanna get an accord, get the I4 LX or something like that. It isn't gonna be too expensive but it also isn't gonna have too many options, but it will still be a pretty good DD. The accord won't get as good milage as the civic, but its gonna be better than a V6 which you prolly don't need anyway.

Old 02-25-2006, 10:28 AM

a couple questions:

I can't go crazy with money..the civic hybrids are pretty expensive..now...

I went to look at a honda dealer and there was a pretty nice accord for around 20,000..not too much more expensive than a civic...now I'm assuming this is a v4 accord right? I didn't have time to look at the details..I just saw it as I was looking at the different civics...

question 2:

do you personally know anyone who's had trouble with an 06 civic?

Old 02-25-2006, 10:45 AM
HCF Member

20k is gonna be for an I4 Accord, honda doesn't make V4s. I said the Hybrid b/c it looks like you wanna pay about 20k so i thought that the hybrids were around 20k. I jus found out that they start out at 19,967. 20K for the accord is reasonable, that is the MSRP on the car. If you wanna get a good deal, try to buy a 05 (if they have them) im pretty sure they are itchin to get the 05s off the lot. You could prolly get the hybrid for cheaper if u get an 05.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:17 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Esquirrel

Hey guys,

I've been having some problems with my 1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan and I have decided to get rid of it and buy a BRAND NEW car.

Now, I love the looks and feel of the new Civic. However, I've heard some negative reports on this board about problems people have been having...

What would you guys suggest?
Look around and see if you can find a 2005 Civic or Accord sitting on some dealer's lot. There must still be some around, and you should be able to get a good deal, with none of the potential "first year" problems.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:01 PM

no one i can find has any 05's left..only pre owned..with like 30k..i rather have brand new

Old 02-26-2006, 11:19 AM

I'm really just confused..I am so excited that I get to get a new car..however..I want to make a smart choice..I love the look and feel of the new civic and I love the gas mileage..who wouldn't?...however..I like the Accord too and if that's a more stable car then maybe I should go with that one?

Can someone give me some insight? WIll i have 100 problems with my new civic..is it that new that it's going to be worse than a chevy cavalier? (sorry chevy fans..that car's aweful)..

Should I go witha 20k accord

What is the difference between an I4 and a V4 and what's the horsepower difference between the civic and accord I4...

thanks everyone for your help!!

Old 02-26-2006, 01:29 PM
HCF Member

I have a friend at Honda and by his reports the '06's are all straightened out. Go for it.

I might ask the dealer when they actually recieve it though, try to get one that has gotten there recently as, they did have some problems earlier on.

Old 02-26-2006, 02:54 PM

thanks for you insight I appreciate it..if I do end up getting the new civic I'll ask for a newer one that just came in...

anyone else have any input?

Old 02-26-2006, 03:19 PM
HCF Member

Sure thing. My friend works as an engineer in the quality anaysis department too. I would personally feel confident buying an '06 at this point.

Quick Reply: Ready To Purchase A New Car - Guidance Needed