General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Really getting hosed trying to sell my civic

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 10:10 AM
HCF Member
Default Really getting hosed trying to sell my civic

Just wondering if anybody has similar experience. I have a 2012 LX which I bought for my wife to cart our kid around in, june of 2011. Well we're expecting a second now, and I can't swing two car payments. So I'll keep driving my 1999 EX with 230,000 miles and we bought her a minivan (which I like, actually).

We bought the car for 18900, and now owe something like 13,200. I can basically just barely get that for it. One of the problems is some moron ran into the back of it about a year ago, just scuffing the bumper cover. Carfax, however, shows "Accident" and now everybody is paranoid. I'm really not happy with the carfax service, it really does a lot to lower the resale value of a car like mine. You can explain to people all day long until you're blue in the face that the car wasn't badly damaged, but nobody wants a car with an accident report.

I also realize selling a one year old car you're going to get hosed pretty bad, but I was at least expecting to get blue book on it, or close. I think part of the moral of this story is if you get in an accident, make sure the at-fault insured's company pays not only the damage, but will compensate you for the reduced value of your vehicle. Which in my case is about 1000 below blue book for a 1-owner, warrantied dealer-maintained car.

Any advice on tips to sell?