General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

ROYAL PURPLE

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Default RE: ROYAL PURPLE

ORIGINAL: yamahaSHO

Yes, synthetic does flow better when cold, however, it handles far greater heat than dino oil. It is a major plus for anyone trying to run a high power motor. I understand in most cases, the average Civic will nto come anywhere near that, but I did my greatest damage at high temps on my SHO. No oil cooling caused the oil to be too thin and I spun a bearing.

I run Mobil 1 in my daily driven (to ready grandma-style driving) and RedLine in my SHO. In general, synthetic oils protect much better and keep the motor nice and clean. For a car you plan on keeping a while, I'd recommend it. If you don't plan on keeping it, just put some good dino oil in and you'll be fine for many miles.
Excellent point you bring up. Just had my valve cover off for some adjustments and I noticed a fair amount of heat toasted dino oil deposits on the underside of the it as well as the top end of the valve train. Nothing major and it does slowly flake off over time since I now run almost exclusively synthetic.

There is also the frying pan test, don't try this inside or with food grade pans and you will see the difference. This is your oil on heat . . any questions. If you run a turbo you especially need the added thermal protection of a premium Synthetic oil.