General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Synthetic Oil Q&A's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 07:42 PM
HCF Member
Default Synthetic Oil Q&A's?

Alright, so it seems i've been in alot of heat with people about oils. I myself, am using regular conventional oil supplied by the dealership(Since i'm 18, and I still live at home until I move into my dorm over the summer) I'm sure you all know how that is, parents thinkin' you're gonna mess something up by modding your car, or something or another. But, anyways.

So tonite, I had discussion with a friend, and it went like this:

Caleb says:
oh, yeah.
Caleb says:
dude
Caleb says:
Have you heard of royal purple?
-[Vilex]- says:
Isn't that.. Synthetic oil?
-[Vilex]- says:
And yeah, I think I have.
Caleb says:
Yea
-[Vilex]- says:
Orite.
Caleb says:
its suppose to add more HP.
-[Vilex]- says:
Eh..?
-[Vilex]- says:
I use conventional oil .
Caleb says:
it adds 10 more HP.
-[Vilex]- says:
How is that possible.. Its JUST oil?
Caleb says:
Well, oil lubricates everything
Caleb says:
and the vescosity is much different.
-[Vilex]- says:
Mmm..
Caleb says:
and Oil will be a little thicker than other oils too.
-[Vilex]- says:
Well, yeah..
Caleb says:
so if it is thicker, kind of makes it hard for the gears to work.
Caleb says:
the thinner the oil, the better the performance.
-[Vilex]- says:
But you don't want too thin :P
Caleb says:
well No....
Caleb says:
but this royal purple seems to do its job.
Caleb says:
I'll have to look into it some other time.

Then.. Being the good little reasearcher that I am(Haha, yeah right >_&gt I stumbled upon this:

"I change my oil every 3,000 miles. I've always put Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w-30 oil in my car and it ran great. I recently drained it and put in Royal Purple 5w-30 and it seems to have added some power to my 90 teg. I've heard rumors that Royal Purple was great oil, am I crazy or does Royal Purple Motor oil really add some horsies?"

"I run it in my H22 del sol, it doesn't add horsepower, but I spoke with several Honda techs and it has better coating sustainability, and in a honda that is crucial, freaked me out the first time I pulled a Honda oil filter and it was dry as a bone."

"Royal Purple is very expensive. The expensive car company uses Royal Purple whenever you bring it in to get an oil change i.e. I know Lexus uses it. The thing about Royal Purple is that if you use it, you must always use it. Before you use it, you have to drain all the oil out of your car.. I can't afford RP in every oil change.. Im not sure if it adds really adds any hp but it rides very smoothly. I once found a case of Royal Purple at o'reilys on special for...60 something bucks?? This was about 4 years ago so I can't quite remember but its expensive."

"you should use a synthetic oil filter when runnin synthetic oil in my opinion. Synthetic oil only stays the same thickness or viscosity over long periods of time it still gets just as dirty as conventional. and as far as the myth of switchin to synthetic on older models that have run conventional thier whole life , my bud had an 88 crx Si it had 160,000 kms or 100,000 miles (notalot for honda), he switched his car over and spun a bearing. Simply drivin one day and came onto it , and it started knockin , never even got it home like couple miles POW threw a rod ruined engine block and all.Hole on the side of the block you can stick a few fingers in , awful it was , lol"

^ Thats just post I found in some thread on google, about Royal Purple. I'm just wondering if its really as good as what people claim it to be? I mean.. I hear good stuff about Mobil 1, but.. Nothing like RP is getting lol. The comment that worried me about switching to Synthetic was the one about his friend spun a bearing and all that crap, since I have 110k miles on my 2001 Civic. Also, I doubt Royal Purple gives hp increases. Seriously.. You might feel the car is more clean and runs better, and MAYBE some better throttle response, but I can't see any real performance increase. Its kind of like.. Feeding baby pop, compared to milk. If you feed it pop, of course its not good for it, and it won't function as well if it had milk inside its system, because its generally better(Yes, one of my whacked out metaphors). But, I just wanted to know what peoples thoughts were about Royal Purple, and if its as good as people think so, and.. If I DO ever switch to Snythetic, which filter would be best for Royal Purple? (My two choices so far ar Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, with Mobil 1 filter, or Royal Purple Full Synthetic).

But.. Whats everyones opinions? I've researched through the forum about oil, and.. I know people have their own preferances, but. I mainly wanted to clear some issues up, and maybe some unanswered questions for some members, and new people. (And yes, it's ANOTHER oil thread, and hopefully the last).

Old 04-02-2008, 07:47 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Synthetic Oil Q&A's?

Oh jesus. Another oil thread.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 PM
HCF Member

I switched over to synthetic and swear by it since. I suggest you switch over and try it out, then you can see for yourself the difference.

The first time you switch over you might want to check your oil level after a couple thousand miles. It's thinner and will get into more nooks and crannies which can be good or bad depending on the condition of your engine. If you get any oil leaks stop and go back to conventional or a high mileage mix. Plus it will get rid of a lot more gunk in your engine that the regular oil wont remove, so the first time your going to want to change your oil after 2-3000 miles IMO. I change my oil every 5k miles or so. I did 3000 a few times but after researching and reading up on other peoples input (mainly the last oil thread "15000 mile change") It's a little overkill IMO.

Oh btw my names Caleb too, and thought you dug something up on me at first

Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Live_4it

I switched over to synthetic and swear by it since. I suggest you switch over and try it out, then you can see for yourself the difference.

The first time you switch over you might want to check your oil level after a couple thousand miles. It's thinner and will get into more nooks and crannies which can be good or bad depending on the condition of your engine. If you get any oil leaks stop and go back to conventional or a high mileage mix. Plus it will get rid of a lot more gunk in your engine that the regular oil wont remove, so the first time your going to want to change your oil after 2-3000 miles IMO. I change my oil every 5k miles or so. I did 3000 a few times but after researching and reading up on other peoples input (mainly the last oil thread "15000 mile change") It's a little overkill IMO.

Oh btw my names Caleb too, and thought you dug something up on me at first
Mmm.. Yeah, thats the thing i've worried about, is leaking. But I guess there is only one way to find out?

Haha, unless I just got done talking to you on MSN about 30 minutes ago, I don't think it was you .

Old 04-02-2008, 09:51 PM
HCF Member

10 hp well not in a civic or at least a lightly modded one maybe a few ponnies but ya royal purple is supposed to be the BEST synthetic oil out there.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:39 PM
HCF Member

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

At the above link, you'll find oil nuts talking about every kind of oil in every kind of car. You may want to specifically check out the used oil analysis section. These guys submit used oil samples to labs, which return a report with all the different particles in the oil (iron, tin, lead, molybdenum, etc), which tell what components of the engine are wearing, how much of the oil has been used, and what kind of pollutants are getting in your oil. It's an exact science with the analyses, and people post their results online.

I doubt that putting royal purple in your car will cause your car to spin a bearing. However, I just don't think that it's worth 10x the price of regular oil...not for a civic anyways.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

When you use Royal Purple your wallet gets lighter, thus your car will go a little faster when you drive it.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:00 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mk378

When you use Royal Purple your wallet gets lighter, thus your car will go a little faster when you drive it.
Well put mk378.

Oil is oil. It all protects your engine. Comparing the two oil typesis like asking which is better, a manual tranny or automatic.We all must make our personal choices andbe happywith them.

Old 04-03-2008, 02:22 PM
HCF Member

Lol i have been using valvoleen synthetic oil, but the royal purple was on sale so i decided to give it a try.....and seriously the car felt like it had just a little more horsepower. Absolutely not 10 more horsepower, but im pretty sure it felt like 1 or 2 more.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:19 PM

I use amsoil 0W20 and noticed that the engine runs smoother and mileage is up to 38 mixed hyway city ( 2008 civic 5spd auto factory rating 25 city 36 hyway. I get 42 mpg with the cruise set at 70 mph

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Q&A's?