General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Talk about bad luck

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 AM
HCF Member
Default Talk about bad luck

So I was doing a little highway cruising tonight with a few friends. Wanted to spend my last few days with the Civic cruising the higway listening to some good songs with the sunroof open, and i break 3 wheels...the only part of the Civic I was going to keep before I gave it back to the dealership. I was taking a bridge from one highway to another, and as I am coming down to the entrance of the highway I was getting on to, there was one of those steel grates that covers big holes that haven't been fixed yet. I saw this already doing about 3-5 mph over the speed limit of 55 mph, and immediately slowed down as much as possible, but it being dark and no lights on that part of the road, I noticed it too late. I felt a huge slam down and back up, and then noticed my wheel shaking and sliding all over the highway. I took the exit that was about 1/8 mile up, and puiulled into a parking lot. After a quick inspection of the car, I had 2 bent wheels with tires almost compleltey flat (not all the way somehow), 1 wheel that looks like it was peeled away from the tire, and the other was perfectly fine. I walked up to the area on this highway to see exactly what caused that, and was shocked it wasn't much worse.

The grate had been moved sideways uncovering the hole that was at least 5 ft. wide and 1 ft. deep. The grate was sitting about a foot away from the beginning of the hole, and was angled sideways. The way it was angled, it had smashed the curb that was holding it in place and had spread debris from all the smashed concrete onto the grate. As I started to take pictures of the huge mess that destroyed my wheels, I saw another car coming down the ramp. I held my hand out trying to get them to stop, but they just didn't see me Im guessing, and hit it full speed. I saw it pop up about 6 inches off of the ground on all tires and land back on the ground almost hitting the barrier next to it. Scary ****.

After my friend put on the donut ( he did it while I took pictures because he wanted to get it done fast) and put air in the front tires, I drove the car home, and it is driving terrible. It pulls to the left then to the right, over and over. What would cause this? I'm guessing the wheels weren't the only damage.

I'm lucky that it wasn't worse, because I could see someone hitting it just right and slamming into the barrier and causing a bad wreck. Luckily, there was no traffic and I could coast off of the highway. I will put up pics tomorrow of the wheels and the huge hole / metal grate. Too angry / upset to deal with it right now.

Sorry for the long story; just needed to vent.

Edit: Forgot to mention the wheels were 17" aluminum Konig wheels with Sonar touring tires. Put tons of money into them. [&o]

Old 01-18-2008, 01:25 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Talk about bad luck

seems like a lot of unfortunate incidents are happening lately??? Not just with you, alsowith other people on the forum.... Maybe it's just me.

Thats crazy, why would the grate or whatever be moved and a hole left there? You think some kids did it or some workers forgot? Maybe I'm not understanding the story is it sort of like a sewage cover? I got to see the pics of this.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:25 PM

dam bro that sucks

Old 01-18-2008, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

Pics:

Name:  0118080201.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  39.0 KB
Name:  0118080156a.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  48.0 KB
Name:  0118080147.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  0118080146a.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  49.5 KB

Old 01-18-2008, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

ouchie! That sucks!!!![sm=insomnia.gif]

Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I've been pretty bummed out about it, but at least it wasn't worse. It bent the front 2 wheels and completely destroyed the RR one.[&o]

The whole ramp was closed down most of the day today while they fixed it. I have to call the city attorney on Tuesday to find out what they can do about it in terms of reimbursement. Hopefully they will help me out because I'm without a car now.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:08 PM

man that sucks i feel your pain pretty much the same thing happened to me with my 17s