HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   throw a rod in the motor..what does this mean? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/throw-rod-motor-what-does-mean-19851/)

mill$civic 04-06-2006 09:45 AM

throw a rod in the motor..what does this mean?

exactly what the title says..i hear this come up alot and im just wondering what it means? and why does it happen?

THANKS!!

Berzerker 04-06-2006 10:42 AM

RE: throw a rod in the motor..what does this mean?

It means you break a rod away from the piston... usually accompanied by a nice size hole in your block from the rod poking through it. YOU DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN lol. It usually occurs from over boosting. To much pressure on the top of the piston and the rod that connects the piston to the crankshaft breaks and spins around inside the engine.

Berz out.

Pete 04-06-2006 12:05 PM

yea, but the rod actually gets thrown out of the motor........clean it up and use it for a paperweight.

Kappa22 04-06-2006 01:18 PM

Actually, it usually seperates from the crank as opposed to the piston, and goes down through the oil pan. Same result though. :D

Dogmeat 04-06-2006 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Berzerker

It usually occurs from over boosting. To much pressure on the top of the piston and the rod that connects the piston to the crankshaft breaks and spins around inside the engine.

Berz out.
Or maybe you didn't check or change your oil ever. Or maybe the radiator was dry....and the piston welded itself to the cylinder wall...the rod was pulled apart with the same results as above.[:@]

Berzerker 04-06-2006 08:39 PM

Speaking from experience lol is that what the angry face is for?

Berz out.

AgentofDarkness 04-06-2006 11:21 PM

A little off topic, but i worked on car one time that had its timing chain break. There was an oil leak and we were wonderin how it happend and figured out that when the timing chain broke, it flew off and hit the pan and broke it. Had to mig weld the pan twice to fix the leak.

Dogmeat 04-07-2006 08:19 AM

Speaking from experience lol is that what the angry face is for
I had an older VW bug that I loaned to my dad for a bit...he was running on 3 cylinders by the time I got it back.
He never really was mechanically inclined. He just thought it was running rough....
I guess I look back and laugh now.

mill$civic 04-07-2006 10:22 AM

ahhhh ic ic..thanks everyone, always learing on here

audiophile 04-07-2006 03:15 PM

(off-topic)

I thought the older bugs came with a 3 cylinder engine... please correct me if I'm wrong.