General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

ticking, rattle & RMP vacillating, etc. in 97 HX

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Default ticking, rattle & RMP vacillating, etc. in 97 HX

HELP! where do I go for ideas? I'm a gal and won't be doing my own work, but I need answers. I've had the car looked at and worked on. The ideas range from "We don't know." to "it is your torque converter." The car brings up no codes. No sensor issues found. No warning lights go on.
I recently bought a 97 HX automatic [ 4-Cyl. 1.6L VTEC-E ] with 109970 miles on it.

In the last 3 months the following work has been done:
timing belt /tensioner, water pump, front upper control arms, adjust the valves, alt belt, power steering and AC belt, cap and rotor for distributor [minor tuneup], spark plugs, New oil pan gasket, oil change & Lucas fluid put in, front brake pads, cleaned out rear brakes, and transmission fluid changed with Honda fluid

Symptoms: started occuring after above repairs--
RPM's vacillate between 1900 - 2200 while the car is driven at 35-42 MPH. It use to slightly fluctuate only while stopped at a stop sign. After changing the transmission fluid, then it started at the 1900-2200 rpm's.
Since all the repairs, the car hasn't fluctuated while waiting at stop lights. Instead, I get the problem while driving [not while acellerating]. When the rpm dial arrives at the 1900- 2000 rpm mark, the fluctuation starts occurring. It happens when I'm driving at a constant speed of 40mph or 38mph or 42 mph. I'm applying steady pedal pressure and the engine/motor hum rises and falls in sound. While doing so, the rpm dial drops up and down in connection to the rising/falling hum. I can feel this rpm surge/decline also. The rpm dial and engine hum should be steady. ANY IDEAS?

When started after sitting over night or sitting for 2-3 hours, I hear a distinctive rapid tick, tick, tick, tick... sound from under the hood. AFter a minute or less it goes away. The rapid ticking noise seems metalic in sound quality. To better describe it, it is kind of like when your gas stove burner pilot light is trying to light. It is a similar kind of noise. Any IDEAS?

When stopped at a light, I periodically get a bang, bang, bang type clanking under the hood. Whatever is doing it seems to be of such force to be making the hood rattle. When I let up on the brake it goes away fully or partially. It never occurs while driving nor if I just let it roll in drive. It just knocks[bangs] and vibrates the cars front end when I have the brake depressed. Any IDEAS??

Unrelated: a couple times a week the car won't turn over- totally dead- or so it seems. Moving the key back and worth, attempting to start it, makes it start usually after th 3rd or 4th attempt. I had the steering column taken apart to see if it was electrical or ignition switch. I was told it isn't electrical. Rather they were guessing it may be the tumbler needing replacing [and new keys]. Does this sound possible?

The mechanic didn't know where thee ticking is coming from and the car wasn't banging while he had it.
He is guessing the torque converter needs replacing and it isn't that unusual for a Honda- so he says. He says if I don't fix it I'll destroy the transmission. And, it could go any time. Does this sound right??
IDEAS, IDEAS to explore, please.

It seems the more I fix, the more stuff goes wrong.

-----An unhappy, slowly going broke gal.