General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Tinting Taillights

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 04:46 PM
HCF Member

Nice cant wait to see the finish product

Old 10-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

PLEASE PLEASE LISTEN TO ME ON THIS!!!!!!!

1 can is plenty for just your tail lights. You can clear if you want them to shine (i didnt because for now I'm primed)

I used the VHT niteshade window tint on my Integra tails.

I went close to 24 hours with no tail lights in my car. Please take your time doing this to do it right.

Start off by scuffing your tail lights up with some like 800 or 1000 grit sandpaper. Then rinse and dry tail lights.

When you start applying the tint, apply very very VERY light coats at a time. Just mist over the tail lights. It should take 3 coats before you really start noticing the tint on the tail lights and even then should be very light. If you start off applying heavy coats it will fish eye and bubble on you. Wait a good half hour in between coats. Keep applying coats until you achieve the darkness your looking for. Then after your final coat allow AT LEAST 12 HOURS before reinstalling the tail lights. Applying clear coat if wanted before reinstalling the tail lights. Waiting after your final coat about an hour to apply clear coat then after your final clear coat (usually about 3 coats) then wait the 12 hours to reinstall the tail lights

hope this helps you, heres a pic of mine

Name:  integraprimered.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  60.9 KB

Old 10-17-2008, 04:53 PM
HCF Member

Kevin is it worth it? Like that takes some time. Cuz i think i just buy pre cut tint, unless taht garbage.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:58 PM

thanks for the detailed instructions. i'll make sure to follow those closely, I don't want it to turn out crap like last time.

that's about the amount i wanted them to shine so i'll skip the clear

i have a pack of 600 grit, you think that's good enough to scuff with, or should I go to the store and buy some 800 or 1000?

Old 10-17-2008, 04:59 PM

its worth it to me but you have to take into consideration the cops in your area, how are they?

mine aren't too bad so I dont get harassed TOO MUCH but I do get stopped every now and then about my tail lights (all my bulbs are plainly visible day or night). so you have to make the decision if you want to take the risk of always being stopped for it.

The tail lights I have tinted are actually carbon fiber altezza's that were on the car when I bought it. I tinted those because I like the circle effect they give the light bulbs. I keep a set of stock tail lights in case I get a repair order, then I slap them in get it the RO signed and then put my tinted ones back in.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
thanks for the detailed instructions. i'll make sure to follow those closely, I don't want it to turn out crap like last time.

that's about the amount i wanted them to shine so i'll skip the clear

i have a pack of 600 grit, you think that's good enough to scuff with, or should I go to the store and buy some 800 or 1000?

that pic was right after I installed them, its been 6 - 8 months since I tinted them and they dont shine like that anymore so later you might want to clear them.

600 grit MIGHT be a little too rough and leave sanding marks that will show, its hard to say. might be able to get away with it but if it was me I wouldnt risk it

Old 10-17-2008, 05:08 PM
HCF Member

Thanks kev, yea i dont know how bad the cops here are. They pull over cars they think are "illegal" so..

Old 10-17-2008, 05:09 PM

i have the really bright luxeon LED bulbs in my taillights from superbrightleds.com
i bought them so that the tint wouldn't be a visibility problem
cops around me don't really care

i'll get some 1000 grit then
and i might use clear

got an updated pic handy of what they look like now?

Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 PM

this is the most recent pic I have and was taken September 7th

Name:  DSC01357.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  64.3 KB

Old 10-17-2008, 05:32 PM

yea those are good, i think i'll skip the clear

Quick Reply: Tinting Taillights