HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   General Civic Talk (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/)
-   -   Tips & Tricks (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/general-civic-talk-16/tips-tricks-5946/)

sacicons 05-30-2005 11:54 PM

Tips & Tricks

Ok, this is a new section for odd little pieces of advice you find along the way that may help others with their projects. if you have something new, then edit your post and add it in. ONLY T&T POSTS! no comments please, lets keep this on topic.

I'm not sure about the exact years, but i assume it at least applies to 5th gens, i have 00 si front and rear brakes, and the SS lines for a 00 SI were too short, and started leaking. turns out that 5th gens with brake swaps need 95 GSR brake lines, not the SI ones. they were about 3 inches too short.

KnightRiderCivic 07-06-2005 09:00 PM

RE: Tips and Tricks

here is a tip for the track....on my cold air intake i made a plastic water tight box around it with a drain at the bottom that i can open and close. and before i pull up to the line i fill it with Ice. Its before the sensor by the way. dont have any confirmed data proving its better but it sure makes me feel better...lol

by the way its around the pipe not the filter...before that question is asked.

Street Sniper 07-06-2005 09:08 PM

Wouldn't being at the track provide confirmed data? Make a run with no ice and then with ice and let us know. I have read about icing the intake manifold in line and it providing more horsepower/faster runs though I have never done it.

LEVIII 07-06-2005 09:18 PM

You can remove all of the stock sound deading material that is just weighing your car down by putting dry ice on it for a few miutes and then chipping it away
USE GLOVES WHEN HANDLING THE ICE!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Door locks on Honda Civics are negative trigger!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The bolts on a differential/final drive gear are reverse thread

If smoke is coming from you car you can tell alot about what it is by its color
White-Generally coolant burning
Blue-Generally oil burning
Black-Generally fuel

Street Sniper 07-06-2005 09:32 PM

I read that a whole write up on that because Sac told me to start there.

Total time- 20 hrs

Weight saved- 15 lbs.

No thanks.

LEVIII 07-06-2005 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

I read that a whole write up on that because Sac told me to start there.

Total time- 20 hrs

Weight saved- 15 lbs.

No thanks.
You did it and it took that long?

Street Sniper 07-06-2005 10:21 PM

No, that's what the guy who did the write up reported. That's also what changed my mind about doing it. If it was up around 80-100 lbs I would do it, but 15?? No way.

KnightRiderCivic 07-07-2005 06:05 PM

Well i dropped my time by .1 in the 1/4 but engine temps were different and all that. too many varibles to say for sure until i can get it on a dyno.

ngoti 8tor 07-07-2005 09:33 PM

When you change your headlight bulbs, DO NOT TOUCH THEM WITH YOUR FINGERS!
Use clean gloves or something, because the oil from your hands will cause them to blow.

Remmy 07-08-2005 10:54 AM

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

When you change your headlight bulbs, DO NOT TOUCH THEM WITH YOUR FINGERS!
Use clean gloves or something, because the oil from your hands will cause them to blow.

I dont think that apply to incandescent bulbs.

When working on the engine, try not to lie tools around the engine bay. Often times you lose track of one and or cant find it or close the hood on it... sometimes it can be very dangerous if a tool finds the wrong place.