General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Well this is fun...how to get in a locked car??

Old 01-08-2010, 09:55 AM
HCF Member
Default Well this is fun...how to get in a locked car??

I have never.....

Okay so I am working on my door panel, I took the driver door panel off because the 2001 civic ex coupe I have needs a new motor for the window possibly and the door lock motor is broken. I left the keys in it and when I come back BOTH doors are locked.

I have NO spare key, well I do but I think it is inside the car(dud key without the chip) but I can't find it in the car(I looked earlier).

So how can I get in it? I am not willing to pay 85 bucks to get in a car sitting in my driveway.

Last edited by cowsgonemadd3; 01-08-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 AM
HCF Member

find out how much a window costs? lol jp.
does your insurance have roadside assistance or watever?
maybe they have those things to get in your car? (the little hook thing that slides thru your window or something?)
i dont know just throwing out ideas for you...

Old 01-08-2010, 10:30 AM
HCF Member

Well you know if you get someone to open your car for you I hear it is like a claim. I am thinking of suction cups on the window and some downward pressure....

Old 01-08-2010, 11:30 AM

im sure you could use a metal wire hanger and try to do it your self...Not sure exactly how to do it...never tried...but yea just throwing out ideas....You could also try taking out the quarter window...

Old 01-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Okay, on a serious note, if you can get something wedge-shaped to wedge between either the roof and door or window-frame and b-pillar, you might be able to get enough room to get some type of rod (a wire hanger might not be stiff enough to pull the lock handle) inside the car to try to get at the lock handle. If you have power windows I would highly suggest not forcing the window down, as it has potential to damage the motor, regulator, or both. If you try the method of wedging the door open a bit, put a towel around the wedge unless you want to damage your paint. Also, the weatherstripping is going to get damaged a bit, too.

Also, if you have AAA, I believe they cover getting a locksmith there to open your door in the event you lock your keys in the car.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:18 PM

+1^ even better idea than mine before..haha

Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM
HCF Member

The simplest way is to make a wedge out of wood. Make it about 3 inches long and 3 like 6 inches tall. You will be able to put this between your window and the outside of the door. Push the wedge in slowly and carefully. You can usually get nearly an inch of clearance between the window and door. Look down there, and find the bar that controls the lock. Use a coat hanger, and pull the bar. Profit.

As with any of the other tips, be careful. If you think something is going to bend or get messed up, stop.

Oh, another idea - Do you have friends with Hondas? Try using their keys. It can work. My key was able to open 3 of my friends cars.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by PunisherInOKC
Do you have friends with Hondas? Try using their keys. It can work. My key was able to open 3 of my friends cars.
Sorry to get off topic but i had a friend with a 99 Neon and he was able to open my door on my 93 civic...

Old 01-08-2010, 12:39 PM
HCF Member

Well the window motor on the drivers side is bad anyways but it did not move. I did not want to break my glass by placing too much pressuer on it anyways.

I did some research on the internet and came across some videos showing "auto jigglers" and they are special keys with different patterns on them and if done right can open the car locks.

So I found a nice picture of one and traced it out on paper over the monitor. It turned out to be "to size" when traced really of a regular key.

I then got a cheap knife on one of those multi-tools and traced on it using my pattern I cut out of the trace.

I tried a hand file but after 8 minutes or so of that I got a bit tired and just started using the power grinder on it which worked VERY well. After about half and hour of grinding and making it just right I got it to size where it would go all the way in the lock. At first it only went half way because it was too wide.

I fiddled with it but it did not work but then I used a technique along with it called "lock bumping". You hold pressure on the key counter or clockwise(whatever the unlocking direction) and you hit on the back of the key with something hard. The unlocking direction on my car turned out to be clockwise.

After a couple or a few small taps it opened right up.

Here are some pics:

The image I traced and made the template with.

A before picture of the knife. Click the picture to make it bigger.

The final result with the pattern beside it. Click the image to make it bigger.

Last edited by cowsgonemadd3; 01-08-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 PM

so you got it unlocked?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well this is fun...how to get in a locked car??