General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

What other models can you use a D16y8 for

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 08:01 AM
Default What other models can you use a D16y8 for

First off, hello to everyone as i am new to the forum.

Now down to buisness. I purchased a 96 civic ex for my son who subsequently wrecked it two months later.
The car is (in my opinion and experience) too far gone to repair. At least for me.
The engine (d16y8) is fine although the transaxle is trashed.

i seem to be having a hard time finding another 96-00 civic for a reasonable price that needs an engine . ( this makes the actual car cheaper and gives me something to do with my engine.)

So, the question is, what other models /years will this engine fit with a minimum of aggravation and or effort.
It seems that the earlier year civics can be had for much cheaper but i understand there are some bolt-up/wiring issues involved.
Other than selling the thing, if anybody has options for me , i'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: What other models can you use a D16y8 for

Well as long as you don't have to pass emissions or anything, you can put it in any 92-00 Civic, Del Sol, or even 94-01 integras with minimal headaches. Just know that you have an OBD2A motor there, so if you put it into an OBD1 car, you'll need an OBD1 ecu and a conversion harness.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:48 AM

Well thats a bit helpful. No I don't have to pass emissions.

While I have no clue as to the difference between an 0bd2a annd 0b21 , i'm sure i can look that up but, I was also under the impression that a motor swap also included the transaxle and that I would need my transaxle included in this swap. is this true or will this engine bolt up to and earlier transaxle.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:02 AM
mxs
HCF Member

you can use any 92-00 civic d-series manual transmission

Old 04-23-2007, 01:09 PM

So, I'm getting the impression that any d series motor (92-00) has a d series transaxle and that this will bolt up to my D16y8
then all i'll need is an obd1 ecu and conversion harness. Sound about right. Seems too easy, there must be a catch.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:15 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Well, you need to have a specific car in mind in order for us to tell you exactly what you'll need. LIke I said, you'll only need a new ECU and OBD1 conversion if you're putting that motor into a car from 92-95.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:26 PM

I take it the ecu is on the engine and not the car.
fact is that i haven't started looking for a car yet. I needed to find out which swap would be the easiest .
Wikopedia has a list of all honda b and d series motors and what models they put what into.
i have to look it up and give you a list.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:38 PM
HCF Member

The ecu is under the glovebox on the right. It's behind that little panel by the passanger's foot

Old 04-23-2007, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

Find yourself a nice clean hatchy. You can really get a lot out of those little cars. You might even save yourself a little bit of money getting one of those. You'll also have a little hp to weight ratio (quicker car) than with the EX. There's plenty of aftermarket and salvage support for you on this project. Just think...you'd really be kicking yourself if you'd bought him a a Rambler or likewise vehicle. You could never find parts for a car like that!!!

You may want to save the instrument cluster in the EX. It has the mileage for your engine. Not to mention that all important tachometer. The DX models and many hatchy models DO NOT COME WITH A TACH. If you want one, save the one from your EX. Many of these parts are absolutely swappable. Keep the EX around and use what you need, then part out the rest.

Good luck...

Old 04-24-2007, 07:32 AM

So I did a little homework and came up with this

here's the short list of possibles

d15b6 found in 88-91 honda crx hf
d15b7 found in 92-95 dx/lx and 93-95 del sol
d15b8 found in 92-95 cx
d15z1 found in 92-95 vx v-tec e
d16z6 found in 92-95 ex/si delsol v-tec

Now i would have to assume that an obd1 ecu is already in the 92-95 v-tec ex and for that swap all i would need is a conversion harness.
i'm guessing also that for an older dx/lx/or cx without v-tec that I would need both the cpu and the harness. and you're saying that any of these transaxles will bolt right up to the d16y8.

What i need first and foremost is a plan.

Quick Reply: What other models can you use a D16y8 for