General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Will my wipers damage my decal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 AM
HCF Member
Question Will my wipers damage my decal?

I wanted to know the experience of anyone who has had/has a decal on their windshield. Mine is vinyl, located at the top of my front windshield. You can see it in my signature. My left wiper blade (the longer one), touches the second C. I am worried about it peeling or getting ripped after all the hard work of getting this thing on.

Its going to rain here in a few days. Should I go buy a shorter wiper blade?

Old 06-28-2012, 05:37 AM

No, you are fine. Wiper blades are just rubber.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Banned

gotta love the worried about the decal more then driving visibility in the rain part.

Old 06-29-2012, 04:55 AM
HCF Member

Haha, gotta love cosmetics.

Old 06-29-2012, 05:50 AM

Gotta love telling everyone what kind of car you have when it is an easily recognizable car

Old 06-29-2012, 08:27 AM
HCF Member

Yes, the wiper may damage it. It may eventually scratch it and possibly peel it up. The decal may also damage the wiper. It all depends on the type of vinyl used and whether it was laminated.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:46 AM
HCF Member

FWIW, I had a few different decals over the years (but not on this Civic), and they all seemed to be okay for a while. The ones I had were white, and I'd occasionally have to clean some black rubber residue off of the decal but, for the most part, I never had any problems. I tend to swap out my wiper blades somewhat regularly, so I never noticed the wipers getting worse.

However, depending on where the wipers hit your "CIVIC" decal, you could run into problems eventually (especially if it's rubbing a corner). The fonts I had were pretty thin, and I did have one letter tear, but it was after a few years of use.

Did you clean the windshield really well before sticking it on? I found that cleaning it with Windex, then going back with alcohol cleaned the glass well enough that the decals were well-adhered years later when they were eventually removed.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:20 PM

It made mine peal back after about 6 months so I glass etched mine so it will always be there lol

Old 06-30-2012, 07:55 AM
HCF Member

Yea I cleaned the windshield with isopropyl alcohol.

I'm thinking about buying a shorter wiper. But the length determines the curve, so I don't think it'd wipe away water right. Maybe I'll try cutting the one I have on now. Hopefully it doesn't fall apart.

Thanks for sharing, I couldn't find anyone's advice by googling!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Banned

i just realised that civic spelled backwards spells civic.

Quick Reply: Will my wipers damage my decal?