General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

WHICH would you buy first.... new cat converter OR stock muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 04:08 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: WHICH would you buy first.... new cat converter OR stock muffler?

Get a flow-thru cat first. It may change the tone just enough to make it bearable for you, without really degrading performance, while also making your car better both legally and environmentally. If the muffler tone is still wrong for you, I'd look at other aftermarket exhausts with a sound you like better. They don't have to cost much more than a stock cat-back, but the performance and sound will generally be better with a quality system over stock or sub-standard aftermarket systems.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya well if i buy a cat its gonna be the magnaflow replacement cat.... its like 100bucks shiped. im not looking for a full catback setup... i was GOING TO BUT to much money.... cause if i keep the car for quite some time that means i MUST use my tax check to pay my credit cards. LMFAO
plus the exaust LOOKS preaty much new besides the muffler and test pipe....

id rather not replace the whole setup unless it needs it....
plus for the cost of a GOOD cat back.... those arent cheap if i did get a aftermarket cat back it would be a RSR system... those sound GREAT from all the clips ive heard of them BUT the cost is a HUGE downfall.

i guess ill buy the cat next thursday and of course then do a BEFORE/AFTER sound clip...

Old 11-23-2007, 05:08 PM
HCF Member

Without the cat, the sound is wayyy too raspy and farty. with a cat the sound is so much better.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:37 PM
HCF Member

i have a skunk 2 resonator if you want ill sell to you cheap

Old 11-24-2007, 12:52 AM

I have a megan Manifold, stainless decat, S/S 2.5" catback and backbox on my civic, but it doesn't sound raspy like yours does in that clip, although it is very loud when you rev it up! Is your centre pipe stock or stainless?

When I take my car if for it's test, I have to re-fit the Cat and fit the bung into the muffler. My car runs like a POS, but at least it'll pass like that. I'm in the UK though so your car tests may be slightly different. I was running a Decat with the std exhaust at first and it does sound a bit louder than the stocksetup, butits quite a sporty note.

When I fitthe Cat onto my stainless exhaust tho, itsaps a lot of power and it sounds pretty crappy to be honest.It also knocks and vibrates slightly as the catback wasnt designed to be used withthe stock Cat -the catback would need to be aboutan inch longer for it to fit right. The decat however seems to fit perfectly.

Ive noticed that when you run a decat, the car can sometimes feel a bit jerky at low revs (in heavy traffic), but foroverall power theres no contest -Decat wins everytime.

=chris=

Old 11-24-2007, 12:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member

see main reason i want to replace it is because my friends turd muffler sounds preaty good.... nice and deep without the raspy turd sound! we got the same setup preaty much besides his turd muffler DOESNT have the silencer instaled, and he had a cat converter.... but same car same motor tho i think his motor is alittle more worn than mine....

and the TEST PIPE thats on the car is preaty much just a piece of pipe with flared ends.... preaty cheap!!!!!!!

i like the sound i just dont like the RASPY POPING crap it does! and thats only reved to about 3-4RPM....
i realy hope this cat will make it sound cleaner..... im not realy worried about it hurting the performance to much..... car has PLEANTY of power feel to me...... coming from a automatic tranny civic.LOL

and BASBAL ya already offered id prefere to keep a full cat...... not another test pipe that looks like a cat....

Old 11-24-2007, 01:04 PM
HCF Member

Actually i saw a test somewhere that having no resonator actually hurt performance. Its best to get a high flow cat.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i thought about a highflow cat... but everyone i see is a weld on..... id prefere a bolt on.... cause if i buy a weld on one and its to large for the factory area that can be VERY BAD of course.LOL i dont want to go thru that much hassle.... plus the test pipe thats instaled looks VERY CHEAP....

Old 11-24-2007, 03:25 PM
HCF Member

Magnaflow makes bolt-on high-flow cats. Horsepowerfreaks.com seems to have a pretty good selection/price.

Old 11-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well it looks like the same thing ive been looking at on this other website.. http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...;x=10&y=11

HPfreaks is afew bunches cheaper BUT this other website accepts paypal which i like ALOT more than sending my creditcard info over a site i dont know..... paypals just safer for me.... [8D]

it doesnt say HIGHFLOW.... on either sites... at least not ON THE ACTUAL description...... maybe it is maybe it isnt..... not realy important to me as long as it quites down that raspy sound!!!!! LOL

Quick Reply: WHICH would you buy first.... new cat converter OR stock muffler?