HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

**1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build**

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 03:27 PM
HCF Member
Default **1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build**

I recently bought a 1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan, Manual Transmission, 106 HP @ 6,200 rpm, with 183,xxx miles on it. It needs/needed some things to be drivable. I will be adding pictures of the build.

Things it needs: B=Bought, I=Installed, N=Need
Registration[BI]
Taxes &Tags [BI]
Stock Fuel Tank [BI]
Stock Fuel Pump [BI]
IKON Rims [B] 10/10/10
Wheels [B] 10/10/10
Black Interior [BI]
Black Paint Job [N]
Stock Fenders [N]
Matrix GT-5 Wing [N]
LEDGLOW 7 Color Neon Kit [N]
15 or 20% Window Tint [N]
Sparco Hood Pins [N]
Stillen Exhaust [N]
Viper Alarm System [N]
Matrix Pedals [N]
Halo Headlights [N]
Aftermarket Taillights [N]
Aftermarket Foglights [N]
Aftermarket Strut Bars [N]
Aftermarket Struts & Shocks [N]
Aftermarket Sway Bars [N]
G2 Caliper Paint [N]
DC Headers [N]
AEM Cold Air Intake [N]
Skunk2 Intake Manifold [N]
Aftermarket Shift **** [N]
Momo Emergency Brake Handle [N]
Matrix Cigarette Lighter [N]
NRG Radiator Cap [N]
AEM Spark Plug Cover [N]
AC AutoTechnic Battery Tie Down [N]
AC AutoTechnic Oil Cap [N]
Blackworks Camber Kit [N]
Clutch Masters Flywheel [N]
Extreme Audio Sound System & Radio [N]

And that's all for now.. its going to be a long and expensive build.. I feel like I left some things out... lemme know some other parts you personally like

Pictures:
Name:  DSC05290.jpg
Views: 837
Size:  52.8 KB
Name:  DSC05291.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  34.4 KB
Name:  DSC05284.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  55.6 KB
Name:  DSC05282.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  48.5 KB
Name:  DSC05283.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  76.8 KB
Name:  DSC05285.jpg
Views: 646
Size:  54.4 KB
Name:  DSC05286.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  39.2 KB
Name:  DSC05287.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  53.2 KB
Name:  DSC05288.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  50.3 KB
Name:  DSC05289.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  35.1 KB
Name:  DSC05260.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  44.1 KB
Name:  DSC05259.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  38.2 KB
Name:  DSC05262.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  DSC05261.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  35.1 KB
Name:  DSC05276.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  29.9 KB
Name:  DSC05277.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  25.4 KB
Name:  DSC05278.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  40.0 KB
Name:  DSC05279.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  23.3 KB
Name:  DSC05280.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  28.3 KB
Name:  DSC05274.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  29.5 KB
Name:  DSC05273.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  34.7 KB
Name:  DSC05270.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  48.5 KB
Name:  DSC05271.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  38.0 KB
Name:  DSC05272.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  43.0 KB
Name:  DSC05269.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  55.3 KB
Name:  DSC05268.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  36.3 KB
Name:  DSC05266.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  40.6 KB
Name:  DSC05265.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  37.9 KB
Name:  DSC05264.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  46.5 KB

I hope you guys enjoy watching the build

Joe

Old 10-24-2010, 04:00 PM

Whew, that engine bay needs some degreaser. Looks like the car needs some love, sounds like you're willing to give it.

Old 10-24-2010, 04:16 PM

This is the definition of a project! Looking forward to seeing a restoration and build up!

However, I would pass on the following:

Matrix GT-5 Wing - Dont even know what it looks like, but still. Just no.
LEDGLOW 7 Color Neon Kit - Please, no. Just.....no.
Sparco Hood Pins - on an OEM hood? Why?
Stillen Exhaust - Stillen makes an exhaust for Civics? I had no clue.
Matrix Pedals - Why?
Halo Headlights - Horrible decision IMO
Aftermarket Taillights - unless you are looking at the red and white ones, please do not buy these.
Skunk2 Intake Manifold
- This will not help you unless you have a crazy N/A build, or turbocharging the motor. Trust me, I got rid of mine for that reason.... well, basically. Switch to a y8 set-up if anything.
Matrix Cigarette Lighter - If you can find a cig lighter that will work correctly in the stock location let me know. I haven't been able to find one yet.
AEM Spark Plug Cover - They make one for the D series? Not that I know of.
Blackworks Camber Kit - I hate Blackworks, just a biased opinion though.

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 10-24-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:23 PM
HCF Member

Nice project goin, are you planning on building the stock motor...? Putting on like the S2 intake manifold on the y7 won't do much for you. Unless you plan on boosting it I'd honestly say leave it stock or swap it. Just my $0.02, which probably isn't worth that much half the time, all the time.

And cv what don't you like about Blackworks? I don't have any of their products but I was planning on getting their rear subframe brace in spring just cause it looks hot as ****. To me they just seem like Blox but a lil more expensive.

Last edited by Scott53092; 10-24-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:40 PM
HCF Member

Ha ok. Well honestly I don't know nothing about honda motors, let alone motors. I know the bare essentials.. lol So I'm always open to opinions.. I'm prob not going to get the wing because i was planning on getting a body kit but its unneeded and costs tons more and when it breaks i gotta replace the parts lol.. Prob just going to remove the one on it now. The hoodpins were for when i was going to buy a fiberglass hood because I knew it was going t obe lighter and didnt want it flying up, and for looks lol. Prob not going to get them.. I'm trying to find a good catback system that doesn't cost too much because im a high school student with a part time job lol.. So any pointers or opinions are open.. im just waiting on the rims to get in. Gonna keep it stock height and get a pitch black paint job. As for the Underglow.. im not so sure of anymore but it depends how the rims and paintjob look I got the new black interior in the car.. pictures will be up soon.. I want the car to look nice, sound nice, and be fast. But im not intending on racing it so just minor upgrades so I will get more horses and a few for mph out of it.

Edit: Headlights and tail lights were going to be Euro. But I decided to get black headlights and tail lights, Why don't you like the halo lights? I mean they cost about the same as stock ones or aftermarket ones if not less and imo they look rad. Idk what tail lights yet but gonna be black.

Also!!: Plan on degreasing the motor. Eventually.. between school and work i dont have enough time and im spending all my money on parts lol & gas Ill have pics up of the interior soon.. i wanna get the head liner black too eventually

Last edited by Joe_Nash; 10-24-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Ok... here we go. We are here to guide you IMO. So please, do not take anything we say the wrong way and think we are bashing you.

Originally Posted by Joe_Nash
I'm prob not going to get the wing because i was planning on getting a body kit but its unneeded and costs tons more and when it breaks i gotta replace the parts lol..
So you are, or are not going get the wing and/or body kit.

The hoodpins were for when i was going to buy a fiberglass hood because I knew it was going t obe lighter and didnt want it flying up, and for looks lol.
If it is for looks, do not get it. For the fiberglass hood, that's fine. However, do not get a crazy looking ugly-*** looking hood. OEM look or bust.

I'm trying to find a good catback system that doesn't cost too much because im a high school student with a part time job lol.. So any pointers or opinions are open..
Search Youtube for videos of "Civic Exhaust" and find one you like. Once you found a brand, or particular sound you like, post it up here and we can help you along with it, or find you a cheaper comparable alternative.

im just waiting on the rims to get in.
I am scared to see what you bought. lol

As for the Underglow.. im not so sure of anymore but it depends how the rims and paintjob look
Seriously, just don't do it.

I want the car to look nice, sound nice, and be fast.
ALWAYS remember cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two.

Edit: Headlights and tail lights were going to be Euro. But I decided to get black headlights and tail lights. Why don't you like the halo lights? I mean they cost about the same as stock ones or aftermarket ones if not less and imo they look rad.
It hard to put it into words except for "RICE". Pointless and cheap. Look up how to guides on baking apart your headlights (get a OEM-style from eBay), and paint them yourself what ever color you would like. Or just get the black housing ones from eBay. Be sure to put a bead of silicone around the edges to prevent moisture from getting in.

Idk what tail lights yet but gonna be black.
Just please please please please please do not get those retarded looking Euro tails. Lightly tint OEM looking ones instead.

Also, just remember to search a little bit before asking any questions. With your mod list in the beginning post, you sound like how I used to be. No comment on that

Old 10-24-2010, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

Naw your not bashing me lol and im not planning on getting the nt-5 wing anymore, but still prob gonna get a more subtle aftermarket looking wing, but im waiting to see how it looks without the wing on it and the body in sound condition. lol. I want to get neon but im not sure just yet lol... and what kind of paint for the head and tail lights? Here are the rims. Personally I like them

Old 10-24-2010, 05:27 PM
HCF Member

Ya definitely dont go euro tails plzzzz lol, like cv said lightly tinted tails are sexy. If you look through my project thread my tails are lightly tinted and i love em. Or if your lazy i can always find a pic of em and post em, also for exhaust...im rockin a magnaflow, with my cat on it has a very nice deep tone to it and i got it for 280 i believe it was from ebay? ill prolly get a vid of how it sounds for you tomorrow if you'd like. and just listen to all of cv's advice, dont ask questions just listen! lol

Old 10-24-2010, 05:35 PM
HCF Member

Link to the seller of the CAT? :P

Old 10-24-2010, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Nash
Naw your not bashing me lol and im not planning on getting the nt-5 wing anymore, but still prob gonna get a more subtle aftermarket looking wing, but im waiting to see how it looks without the wing on it and the body in sound condition. lol. I want to get neon but im not sure just yet lol... and what kind of paint for the head and tail lights? Here are the rims. Personally I like them
Did you get those rims in size 17"? And did you actually pay $675 per wheel for them????

DO NOT get neon. You will get tired of it, and it's only going to get you in trouble.

There are very few subtle aftermarket wings....it seem that the dumber it looks the cheaper it is, knock off or not

Quick Reply: **1998 Honda Civic LX Sedan Build**