HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   HCF Project Section (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/hcf-project-section-63/)
-   -   Reaper's Mustang Project (abridged version) (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/hcf-project-section-63/reapers-mustang-project-abridged-version-71078/)

megafandrew 11-10-2008 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by reaper2022 (Post 602979)

More pitchers!

'Nother rear shot:
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s...i/rearshot.jpg

One from the ground:
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s.../rearshot2.jpg

And none of that ricer "tips hanging an inch past the bumper" s**t here:
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s.../rearshot3.jpg

And unfortunately, thanks to mother nature and her constant 10mph breeze, I can't get a good exhaust video today... I'm starting to wish I'd have taken a video last night in the garage. But hopefully there won't be as much wind tomorrow, so I can get a decent exhaust video.

man that is a major improvement over the stock exhaust system, will flow much better. Also it seems these automakers have to make the simplest task the hardest like the headers you mentioned and the bolts, this reminds me exactly of the turbo elbow on my old 180sx, you must remove half of the motors parts or lift it slightly to tighten the inside bolts on it. Are they trying to prevent us backyard mechanics from doing our own work? Looking good though really inspiring to start my own build. I am actually thinking of buying some old honda hatches/coupes that need a little work here and there and then turning around and selling them for profit lol! That would be super fun and if I can make some coin on it well damn.

jpnolan 11-10-2008 08:04 PM

good job bro its coming along.... way to fast! my project is too slow you have too much money/time

reaper2022 11-11-2008 03:32 AM

thanks guys :D

And Drew, I understand exactly why they make things so hard to work on. The manufacturers place everything so it's easy to drop in at the factory; they want things to move as quick as possible while manufacturing so they can increase production. Unfortunately, 95% of the time it makes anythign a pain in the a** to work on. But yeah, definitely get that project going lol. And I've already thought about buying a few cars, fixing them up and modding them, and selling them; I know I could probably make a decent bit of money (buy for $1000 spend $300-$500 fixing things, have a friend paint for $50 + the cost of paint, spend $1,000 on mods (used parts), sell for $3500-$4k), but the initial cost is a bit high for me right now.

And john, the only reason it's moving so fast at this point is because I sold my bike when I went to college, so I went on a little shopping spree with the money from selling it. After the LSD and rear-end gear are installed, things are going to slow down a bit here (except for the cheap/free mods).

The rear diffuser (my current cheap/free mod lol) is still in the works; I'll probably finish framing everything up this weekend and start fiberglassing it. I think I'm going to go to a few local hardware stores and see if I can't find anything to use to mount it. Hopefully by Thanksgiving weekend I'll be able to at least get most of the sanding/shaping done, and I'm hoping to have the diffuser on the car by the week after at the latest.

megafandrew 11-11-2008 04:38 PM

cool I never thought of that as the reason for making the parts hard to get to afterwards and it makes complete sense. I am looking for a project car right now something to work on threw the winter :) Initial cost for buying/fixing cars and then reselling is a bit high for me to right now. cant wait to see the diffuser on the car should fill in that extra space :P and be useful

reaper2022 11-11-2008 06:46 PM

well, probably not be useful :D

The air going under the car won't really be controlled just, and there's lot of pockets for the air to get caught up in, so the effect of the diffuser will be minimal at best... but it'll look really cool :D

But seriously, I'd like to eventually do the front splitter (probably next spring... no point in making my bumper closer to the ground just in time for winter) and full under-body panels. After that, the diffuser might have a little more of an effect if I can get the angles right. But even if it doesn't, it'll still look cool lol

(and I didn't think about the whole parts being hard to get to either... my dad pointed it out when I was b***hing about getting to the downpipe bolts)

And w00t, I might have $3xx to play with in a few days here :D... what to buy, what to buy...

*edit: and I was sitting in class today thinking... and for the hood, I think I have an idea. I'm going to make the heat extractor on the hood a few (2-5") deeper, and add louvers along the length of the vent to aid in the cooling process. The problem is I'll either have to literally work nonstop for a full weekend to have it at least fiberglassed and sanded (probably not painted) to drive it monday morning, get a spare hood to use while I'm working on the 40th ann. hood, or I'd have to drive around without a hood for a while. Either way, it'll look bada** and hopefully actually be able to extract hot air from the engine bay.

jpnolan 11-11-2008 06:48 PM

oh ya i remember your bike, and my jealousy for it. Until this point I had always thought of orange mustangs as kinda bitchy cars but with the black yours looks sick, I'm excited for the power this will produce!

reaper2022 11-11-2008 07:03 PM

:D

It's red. In direct sunlight it looks orange. Well, at least it's red according to my paint code. But if you put a Competition Orange stang and a Performance Red stang next to each other, you'll see the difference.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to the power, too... but it's not going to come for quite a while. Well, the "real" power (4.2l swap and m112 conversion) anyway. But as for the little mods, they seem to add up. Since the tuner and full exhaust, you can feel the car has a little bit more power (somewhere between 10-20hp... but that's with an intake, no cats, 2.5" header-back exhaust, and tuned for 91 octane). Since putting the exhaust on, I've noticed it seems to have a little more torque; not much, but you can tell it's there. The car actually pulls a little more in 5th now.

But I'm thinking the money from the turbo is probably going to go towards suspension.

jpnolan 11-11-2008 07:09 PM

oh sorry the pics make it look orange. It must be nice when you do I/H/E to actually fell a difference haha

reaper2022 11-11-2008 07:14 PM

lol it's cool... it took me a few weeks to decide it was red (I'm still not 100% convinced, but I looked up the paint code and it says red... but it's orange at the same time).

But yeah... I'm thinking the tuner has more to do with the power gain than the i/h/e.... well, technically, i/h-pipe/e lol... still rocking the stock headers :D Either that or it's one of those nice little butt-dyno proven gains lol... I'm not saying it's definitely not just in my head... but I swear there's a little more torque lol

PhillipBurch 11-13-2008 02:03 PM

The car looks great man! Nice progress.

Im looking for a Mustang right now. All the ones for sale around here right now are pretty sh!tty, and high though. But Im keeping an eye out.

I noticed the color of yours being brought up. My family had a 1994 Mustang GT 5.0 and it was Performance Red. That is an awesome color, and you didnt see that many Mustangs that color around town. Didnt they plan/do away with that color? then they brought it back in like 2000 something?