HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Reaper's Mustang Project (abridged version)

Old 07-07-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

Well alright then lets do this! When and where we gonna meet?!
Just kidding haha ima just make my hatch look good exterior wise now (since motor work is all done up) and then drive her through college. Then ive got my mind set on a Impreza thanks to u, Forty04, and scoobiefan (sp) lmao

Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 AM
Super Cereal Admin

w00t Subaru!

Also, the wing is scheduled to be delivered Tuesday... hopefully the winglets will be here by then so I can throw the wing on

*ninja admin edit: I forgot to mention... I was planning on doing the responsible thing with what will be left of my tax return, but eff that. It'll be going towards suspension parts. If all goes according to plan, my car will be slammed in short order. The tax return will pretty much cover my front coilovers, tubular k-member, and tubular a-arms... then I'll just need to buy shocks and struts, camber/caster plates (the OEM ones don't have the camber adjustment I'll need... I'm shooting for -1.5 degrees of camber up front. I'd run more, but I plan on having 245mm wide front tires, and camber will cause noticeable wear on tires that wide), and springs for the rear (I'll be running coil springs in the rear until I can get the money for the IRS swap).

Old 07-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Well, the spoiler's still on schedule for tomorrow, pics on Wednesday (hopefully). No word on the winglets, but they're being shipped USPS. I'm going to find out if the seller has shipped them out yet or not.

*edit: I think I'm going to push lowering the car back some... I'll probably start buying parts this winter and hopefully lower it in the spring or next summer. I have some more responsible uses for this year's tax returns lol

Old 07-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Okie dokie. Well, the wing showed up yesterday but I couldn't pick it up from the leasing office until today. It's on the car as I type this, but I'm not going to take pics of it on the car without the winglets (they were sent out today so hopefully I'll have them this weekend). Anyway, off-car pics:

Name:  wing1.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  41.1 KB

Here you can see just how much of an airfoil design the wing actually has:
Name:  wing2.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  24.2 KB

Also, I'm re-thinking the project. I'm thinking I'm going to ditch most of the aero parts (belly pan, extended splitter, diffuser) as well as the supercharger for the time being. I still plan on getting the 2000 Cobra R splitter and I think instead of running a fuel cell I'll get a black bolt-on gas door (they actually look like they belong on mustangs) as the fuel system would probably cost in the area of $1k by the time it's all said and done. Until then, I'm going to do the suspension, wheels and tires, body work (Cobra R splitter, '03/'04 Cobra side skirts, Bullitt sail panels (c-pillars), new paint and possibly a 2000 Cobra R hood), interior, and I still plan on at least camming the engine. Once that's done, I'll see what direction I want to go in.

*edit: Oh, and as of right now, the game plan is I'm going to get new brake rotors and pads (I really need 'em) then hoard money like my life depends on it until I get my 2010 taxes back next year. After that, I'm going to make some serious progress on the mustang. Then I'll probably be broke and the project will come to a screeching halt again, but at least most of the work will be done by then

Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Recognized HCF Member

unless you change your plan again

Old 07-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Which very well could happen... right now I'm trying to cut costs because I did the math and the price wasn't pretty with the previous plan. It was going to be ~$10k to do the front suspension, engine build, and supercharge it. That wasn't including the body work, interior work, or wheels/tires. By not stroking the engine and not going with the supercharger (yet. If/when I "finish" the car, I'm going to decide if I should continue with the engine work or call it quits with this car) I'm cutting ~$4,500 off the price tag. By not doing the fuel system (fuel cell in trunk, inline filters and pumps, etc), I'm cutting another $1,000 off the cost. Of course, I'm adding a little bit to the price with the new plan (skirts, sail panels and fuel door), but I'm adding much less than I'm taking off.

Realistically, my current plans could be up to 50% to 75% completed after I get my tax returns next year and go on a shopping spree.

*edit: Forgot to add that in the new plans I'm going to be getting an aluminum flywheel, aluminum driveshaft, new clutch (the one I'm looking at is rated for 550bhp; total overkill but I won't have to worry about the clutch if I do end up going with F/I), and windstar intake. Also, I may or may not be getting a shiny new aluminum radiator when I do the cam... I'll need to drain and fill the coolant for the cam (I'll also be replacing the head, intake, and valve cover gaskets while I'm at it), and it gives me a good chance to upgrade so I have something nice and shiny lurking behind the air dam

Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Chubby Chaser

just yank your motor out and drop a 460 in it and call it a day ZOMG I JUST NOTICED MY JEEP SIG PIC IS GONE

Last edited by 94civichatchback; 07-14-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Super Cereal Admin

But then I'd be a V8 owner. I don't particularly like mustang owners but I am one, I'm not going to let myself develop the holier-than-thou attitude of most mustang GT/Cobra/etc owners.

Also, I'm thinking I'll probably go with 18's all around as opposed to the 17/18 stagger. The price is going to change ~$90 so yeah. I was thinking about it and with the sidewalls equal, 1" larger in diameter in the rear would lift the rear end 1" relative to the front, making me have to lower it even more for a close-to-even (I still plan on rocking ~0.5" of rake) ride height. Also, I found pictures of the 17/18 stagger. It looks good, but nowhere near as good as I thought it would. With the wheels I plan on getting, it'd probably just look weird.

*edit: Oh, and all non-civic owners take note: next summer you guys have no chance of winning the non-civic ride of the quarter if all goes according to plan. I'm going to start preparing my acceptance speech for when I win

Old 07-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Well, the winglets showed up today. As promised, pics:

Name:  1-13.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  63.8 KB

Name:  2-13.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  52.7 KB

Name:  3-10.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  34.1 KB
(Ballin', right? )

Name:  4-7.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  66.5 KB
What's that in the window?

Oh, why it's this
Name:  5-4.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  43.9 KB
(yes, it's crooked. I was too lazy to use soapy water and the "prius" ended up touching the window while I was trying to get it straight. Oh well.)

Oh, and when it's painted, all the flat black will be gloss black. I decided I like the gloss black look better.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

agreed shiny black nicer! flat black IMO only look good on a full flat paint job.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reaper's Mustang Project (abridged version)