HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   HCF Project Section (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/hcf-project-section-63/)
-   -   zerojett's EF Project (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/hcf-project-section-63/zerojetts-ef-project-85059/)

zerojett 09-02-2010 08:37 AM

zerojett's EF Project

6 Attachment(s)
Hey guys,
So this is my build thread I guess. I've been working on these EFs for a couple years now, and I really enjoy them. I am finally doing an extensive project... Bought an 89 Dx a while back, needs safety and a whole bunch of things replaced... also bought an 89 Si parts car with a rusted out frame.

Took some pictures today after my failed safety inspection.

Attachment 9720

Yeah, I know, needs paint really badly. And a tad bit of body work...

Things done thus far:
Refinished 90-91 Si seats, installed front and rears
Installed Integra center console
90-91 cluster conversion, still partially under construction
new OEM struts and shocks all around, pads, rotors, shoes, drums
OEM rear speaker mounts
Si front lip
Si door cards
90-91 corner light conversion

Failed safety today, but not too worried. Now I have a list of things to do. I will be checking these off as I complete them.
New windshield
Replace aftermarket pedals with stock
Replace door pins
Replace signal lights... Cracked.
Remove mudflaps, or install all 4 of them. Haven't decided.
Replace upper and lower ball joints
Replace rear trailing arm bushings
CV boot replacement
Rear drum cylinder needs replacement, leaking..
New battery terminals needed...
Headlamp adjustment
Front motor mount replacement
Alignment

Factory D15 in it. Planning on swapping soon due to a leaky headgasket.
After paint, probably going to get some OEM rims.

Here's some more pictures for people who like pictures!!!

Attachment 9721

Attachment 9722

Attachment 9723

Attachment 9724

Attachment 9725

WellFedHobo 09-02-2010 12:57 PM

Add to list: Give car a bath

Nice looking project though.

KingDakota12 09-02-2010 01:57 PM

I love EF's this should be an awesome build thread. Keep us posted!

zerojett 09-02-2010 04:32 PM

Just got back from the neighborhood PartSource...
$699.60 for two trailing arm bushings, two lower ball joints, two upper ball joints, two outer CV boots, and two inner CV boots.
They ordered the parts, should be here by Monday. I'm pretty clueless about those lower ball joints though... The upper ones seem to just bolt on, bottom ones are pressed in?

WellFedHobo 09-02-2010 04:34 PM

I believe that's right. You can probably remove the parts, take them to your local shop, and ask them to press the new bearings in for you.

However, your trailing arm bushings are a DIY job. Look to YouTube for instructions.

PunisherInOKC 09-02-2010 04:43 PM

Lower ball joint removal needs a specialized tool.
I call it DAS HAMMER. =P Just give it a few good hits from the bottom. Comes out. To install, Hit from top. lol, its how I did mine. I was trying to use a press, but was having a lot of issues. Tried hammer, worked fine. For the trailing arm bushings, you need a press. Easy if you have one, easier if a local shop has one. They usually charge like $10 per side.

Tell me your SI parts car still has the motor and everything. I seriously recommend doing a DPFI to MPFI conversion.

And as always, glad to see another EF hatch on the forum. Best cars ever. =)

KingDakota12 09-02-2010 05:06 PM

Ya man not very hard jobs with the right tools, but if your worried just get some quotes at a local shop or recommend and see the tools you need and purchase for a DIY job.

Kenny-g 09-02-2010 05:28 PM

Mmmm i love EF's and hatches are just more fun imo haha i want someone to have a good EF sedan project on here tho! [insert dissapointed face here]

zerojett 09-06-2010 07:44 PM

Well, I've got a pile of boxes in my room now.
I also picked up a new intake manifold gasket from a D16 for when I do my MPFI swap as well.

Hoping to work on it sometime this week. I'll post some pictures when I start tearing off the front knuckles... Give you guys a little tutorial on it, just for the hell of it.
Also, on the instructions that came with my upper ball joints, it said something about a 'very' limited number of 88-91 Civics where the upper ball joint is welded to the upper control arm... Has anyone ever had to go through this pain?

PunisherInOKC 09-07-2010 03:27 PM

I've never even heard of that before. That would be by far the dumbest thing any company could do to a car. The parts are known to get old and need replacement. I don't see a single advantage to welding it in. The instructions could simply be wrong.