HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   HCF Suggestion / Forum Help Center (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/hcf-suggestion-forum-help-center-15/)
-   -   Parts and Comments....... (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/hcf-suggestion-forum-help-center-15/parts-comments-11001/)

ngoti 8tor 10-03-2005 03:53 PM

Parts and Comments.......

Here's the idea:

Have a section for each generation of Civic, then let people post a part (eg. AEM CAI, DC Sports 4-2-1 header, etc) and they can give a comment or two about the part (whether it be good or bad), place either a picture or a link to a picture of the part, how much they paid, and where they purchased it.

This would save the HCF members a lot of time, searching, and asking around. A member could look up their generation of Civic, then go to a certain part and find out any info about it.

Note: If someone posts anything other than pertinent info, have a mod delete it so that there's only helpful info, no garbage or wisecracks.

Forty04 10-04-2005 07:41 AM

RE: Parts and Comments.......

this isn't a bad idea. It would be just like the swaps section, split up into gen. Then we wouldnt have all the "will this part fit this year.." blah blah blah..

Chimera02EX 10-04-2005 08:12 AM

+1
Definately good idea.

ngoti 8tor 10-04-2005 10:51 AM

This is just a general idea, I'm sure we could all have input and make it great.

Patrick 10-04-2005 11:08 AM

do you mean like a brand review section?

ngoti 8tor 10-04-2005 12:01 PM

Here's an example:

I have a 2005 Civic LX, and I wanna put on strut bars.

So where do I start?
I can go into the 7th Generation section and look through and read about different people's experiences with different types of strut bars. I would also be able to see a picture of them, get an idea of a price, hopefully find different links for them, find out the pros or cons of them, fitment (whether they bolted right on or needed some adjustment), and then choose which one I wanted to purchase, if I wanted to purchase it at all.

sacicons 10-04-2005 10:54 PM

yeah, like a part review, seperated by generation, then by item, then by brand name.

ngoti 8tor 10-05-2005 08:21 AM

Is it possible?

Patrick 10-05-2005 02:58 PM

well, there is a new 'Review" section being added...its in beta testing now...

but i think that your idea is much better...HOWEVER..if im going to add this section, i need someone to volunteer to monitor it...nothing is to be posted that isnt a review..we need someone to develop guidelines for the section

ngoti 8tor 10-05-2005 08:26 PM

Yeh, it could be a real good section and a lot of help to all the members if we can keep all the crap out of it. No silly comments or posts, and have a mod delete anything they think doesn't fit in.
Also, no post unless it fulfils certain criteria like part name, either a picture or a link (preferred), what the member thought of it, cost, and fitment.

civicexracer 10-05-2005 08:56 PM

sounds good. i think there should be a section dedicated just for that. deff. make things faster and easier for everyone. someone make it happen!!

Street Sniper 10-05-2005 10:38 PM

I can dig it. Would be a great tool.

i need someone to volunteer to monitor it...nothing is to be posted that isnt a review..we need someone to develop guidelines for the section
You dont' have enough mods already? or are you talking about all of the posts running through someone?

Forty04 10-06-2005 07:22 AM

I'd be willing to dedicate some time to moderate that portion....i'm on here every friggin day anyway:D

ngoti 8tor 10-06-2005 07:37 AM

I would like to nominate Mossy, xe1002, and mxs as choices for someone to monitor this if it happens.

Forty04 10-06-2005 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

I would like to nominate Mossy, xe1002, and mxs as choices for someone to monitor this if it happens.
of course you would....

Why would you nominate someone who has admitted that tehy do not know that much about parts, but are still learning. No offense to you xe, but I just read a post by you saying that. If any of those three i would think it would have to be Mossy. Forgive me if i've offended anyone, but it doesnt make sense to have a parts section run by someone with little experience in the parts field.

ngoti 8tor 10-06-2005 08:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Forty04
but it doesnt make sense to have a parts section run by someone with little experience in the parts field.
Let me please explain something......

When I came up with this idea, I did not intend for it to have to be monitored by an experienced part person.
I would like to see it monitored only to keep the silly comments and other crap out of the section, and I do not expect the person monitoring it to edit posts out because they don't like the parts or don't agree with what the poster's comments said about the part.

I believe either xe1002 or mxs could do just as good a job monitoring the section as anyone else on HCF and maybe better than most.

This could be a very good thing for HCF and I hope nobody tries to ruin it for the rest of the HCF members.

Forty04 10-06-2005 08:27 AM

It really should be someone with some knowledge and experience installing and working with parts. It will be easier for them to disifer between legitimate posts and bs. Not to mention, I don't really care who it is to tell you the truth. Patrick asked for volunteers, so i volunteered, end of story.

Tell me something tho, has any of this leg humping paid off for you yet??

ngoti 8tor 10-06-2005 08:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Patrick
nothing is to be posted that isnt a review

It really should be someone with some knowledge and experience installing and working with parts. Not to mention, I don't really care who it is to tell you the truth.
I mentioned the idea so that everyone would have a chance to post their comments about parts (positive or negative). We don't need someone with knowledge of parts, and we sure don't need someone deleting people's post because they don't agree with it. I want to make sure all the HCF members have a chance to read everything that was said about any part......I know what happens when stuff is edited.

This is why I nominated xe1002, mxs, and Mossy, because I think any of them would be fair and not edit out stuff and end up pissing members off.

Forty04 10-06-2005 08:46 AM

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

nothing is to be posted that isnt a review

It really should be someone with some knowledge and experience installing and working with parts. Not to mention, I don't really care who it is to tell you the truth.
I mentioned the idea so that everyone would have a chance to post their comments about parts (positive or negative). We don't need someone with knowledge of parts, and we sure don't need someone deleting people's post because they don't agree with it. I want to make sure all the HCF members have a chance to read everything that was said about any part......I know what happens when stuff is edited.

This is why I nominated xe1002, mxs, and Mossy, because I think any of them would be fair and not edit out stuff and end up pissing members off.

Man, when have i ever given any indication that i am that biased for or against any part....EVER?!? I would think that i'm pretty fair when it comes to discussing parts and mods, and i'm not petty enough to go around deleting what i don't like, thats just stupid. But, whatever, i'm done.

ngoti 8tor 10-06-2005 08:59 AM

Man, when have i ever given any indication that i am that biased for or against any part....EVER?!?
I didn't say that, but I think you just gave people that idea now.

I simply nominated a few people and then you came down on me. So then I explained why I nominated those people.

Forty04 10-06-2005 09:15 AM

Yeah, well, we'll let people form their own opinions on this conversation. I'm not going to try and steer them into thinking one way or another.

Patrick 10-06-2005 09:36 AM

listen...since forty volunteered, he would be considered first...you cant nominate someone to be a mod, that would be like nominating someone where you work to do a new job! :D

please stop the bickering....i can add a review section, but first, we need some sort of format.

It will be one forum line item, just like "off topic" is, broken down into generations within. that much is set, but what else we need is a format for submission...i dont want this:

"my brothers girlfriends dad works at a shop and he said that he installed so&so brand exhaust, and its junk"

or

"i installed an ebay intake and gained 71 whp on my 84 civic!!"

as we get more, there will be more clear ways to organize things, but for now, we need to have a required form for submission...

example:
Product: K&N CAI
Vehicle: 98LX
Installation: easy, required only a screwdriver
Review: IT is worth every cent. I gained some horsepower as well as some mileage, and it sounds great!

am i missing anything?

mind, you we are working on an actual review setup, but im not certain when it will be launched.

Forty04 10-06-2005 10:22 AM

example:
Review: IT is worth every cent. I gained some horsepower as well as some mileage, and it sounds great!

I agree that this is a good format. Also, about the brother's sister's dog's miata or whatever.. I think that in order to post a review, you need to have some facts or hands on experience, it can't just be hear-say all the time. For instance, maybe there is a general post for AEM CAI's. Chances are a lot of people are going to post just because they've heard of AEM CAIs and know that they are a highly recommended product. I guess what i'm driving at is that posts shouldnt consist of "Yeah, AEM CAI's are cool" It should be something more like the above mentioned format.

Also, and this sorta falls under installation, but another good thing to have is time required to install. This is something i always look for when buying parts, because my project is my daily driver, and if a certain mod takes more than a day to do, than i had better wait till the weekend.

Remmy 10-06-2005 10:28 AM

This doesnt sound like a bad idea. IMO it needs to have structure software wise.

Patrick 10-06-2005 10:57 AM

well, once the review section is through its beta testing...whatever the hell that means, it will be nice to have, but i do not believe that it will be split by generation..

so, forty, youre up for keeping an eye on said review section? once open, can you post about what is and isnt allowed..it sounds like you have a good idea of what to do...
and lets not forget that ngoti8tor brought this up, so i dont want him to feel like he is being excluded...do you have any input ngoti8tor?

new example:
Installation Time: 10 minutes to remove factory air box, 5 minutes to install new intake.

Forty04 10-06-2005 11:18 AM

I'd be glad to Patrick. Just keep me posted on when you think it'll be opening up. I'll start listing some rules and what not to try and keep things organized.

Patrick 10-06-2005 12:05 PM

well, itll only take me a few seconds...lol
you let me know when youre ready!

Forty04 10-06-2005 01:44 PM

pmed ya

mxs 10-06-2005 05:17 PM

^^^ I missed this whole thing this morning, I don't have a lot of experience but I AM good at hitting the delete button! ;) anyway I think Forty will be a kickass moderator and I look forward to reading the reviews. cheers! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

ngoti 8tor 10-06-2005 07:12 PM

and lets not forget that ngoti8tor brought this up, so i dont want him to feel like he is being excluded...do you have any input ngoti8tor?

new example:
Installation Time: 10 minutes to remove factory air box, 5 minutes to install new intake.
Yeh, thanks, Patrick.

I think it should include either a picture of the part or a link to it. (eg. Forty said he bought Megan strut bars from eBay and gives a description with comments, then I decide........hey, this dude seems to know what he's talkin about, those strut bars sound great, go for a decent price, so I'd like to buy the exact same strut bars as Forty.) Then I could just click on the link, or hunt them down at least knowing what they look like.

Also, I would like to see "Fitment". (how well the part fit, just bolted on, or had to make a few adjustments.) Some members are mechanically inclined, while others aren't, so some members might be more interested in paying a bit more cash for the direct bolt-on items.

Lastly, I would also suggest the member that posts the part should also post the price they paid to give other members an idea of how much cash they have to spend, and also for comparison against other brands.

ngoti 8tor 10-06-2005 07:13 PM

BTW, Congratulations, Forty! [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Forty04 10-07-2005 07:03 AM

Thanks man, I believe i've followed your guidlines to a T. Read through the sticky that I've put up, and let me know if theres anything else you like to see added to it, or ommited from it.