HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   "COLD AIR INTAKE" OR "K&N AIR CHARGER" ? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/%22cold-air-intake%22-%22k-n-air-charger%22-11373/)

Technician 10-10-2005 03:05 PM

"COLD AIR INTAKE" OR "K&N AIR CHARGER" ?

Can somebody tell me the difference between a "COLD AIR INTAKE" system and a "AIR CHARGER" intake system.

I noticed the cold air intake modification is very cheap to buy but the "air charger" system from K&N is about $200.

Finally where does the "COLD AIR" for the cold air intake system come from ? Do you steal from the AC or something like that. Seriously-----I'm trying to learn about this stuff to mod my 2005 Civic Coupe LX and want to add intake mod & exhaust mod but WANT TO DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME...................

Forgive me, I am new at this and still learning. There also seems to be limitations for 2005 Civic Coupe LX performance exhaust systems, allot of people recommend magnaflow & Megan racing but they both don't advertise anything for the 2005 Civic Coupe LX----------any recommendations for a really nice perfroming exhaust & intake system. Please be specific and don't tell me to look at the thousands of posts on this website for valuable information. i was hopeing opne of you experts can tell me exactly what to do ------------LET's pretend this is your car and you are going to add intake & exhaust performance mods & you have $750 to spend...........

THANK YOU !!!

TECHNICIAN

[sm=feedback.gif]

Ray012874 10-10-2005 03:13 PM

RE: "COLD AIR INTAKE" OR "K&N AIR CHARGER" ?

Welcome to HCF!!! I own a 2005 Honda Civic LX and I will tell you right now that aftermarket parts are limited for the LX. The EX has more parts available. However, the CAI is placed normally behind the bumper allow the cold air to be used from the outside of the engine bay. There are currently no CAI (if I'm not mistaken) however, Injen makes a Short Ram Intake which takes air from the engine bay instead of behind the bumper.

Exhause systems are also limited but Greddy makes the SPS 2 and magnaflow makes one for the LX. There are no available Header for the LX 2005 at the moment but you can get the EX header and make adjustments so that it will fit.

Here is a pic of mine:

[IMG]local://upfiles/3718/7CFB4D8FFB5D4E17A23D22CC0A07F757.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3718/78C555C1325B48E28FB34CEFFAF4C8A0.jpg[/IMG]

ngoti 8tor 10-10-2005 03:15 PM

A CAI gets the "colder than engine bay air" from outside the engine bay.
An Air Charger gets the air from inside the engine bay, but trying to stay away from the hot engine.

I don't believe there is actually a CAI manufactured for an 05 Civic at this time.

As for the exhaust......how loud do you want it?

Technician 10-10-2005 03:50 PM

Not loud at all, I would like to keep things quit as possible but with as much performance boost as possible---------- I assume that means a compromise between loudness and performance. Thanks.

Whats the difference between the EX & LX------I thought it was just options that had nothing to do with engine specs.

You guy's are very helpful----THANK YOU !

TECHNICIAN (ROB)

ngoti 8tor 10-10-2005 03:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Technician
Whats the difference between the EX & LX------I thought it was just options that had nothing to do with engine specs.
LX has 115HP SOHC non-VTEC engine.
EX has 127HP SOHC VTEC engine and has a few more options (moonroof).

Ray012874 10-11-2005 03:52 PM

There's not a big difference but some parts for the EX won't fit the LX because of VTEC. EX has it and LX doesn't so there's a difference there.

I heard you can modify the EX Header to fit a LX but I won't do that cause the car is still new. I'll just wait for a LX Header to come out. If you buy an EX Exhaust System, you have to get a EX Header also to make it fit (if I'm not mistaken).

dj_ipirate 10-11-2005 04:36 PM

if your rolling in a lx you might want to mini me that mofo!!! everyone who doesnt have vtec make fun of it but if they had it they would love it.

Technician 10-11-2005 05:20 PM

Is there any advantage or disadvantage between the CAI and plain "AIR CHARGER" from K&N ?

I mean if you have the option to buy one or the other which is the better choice ?

Is a CAI illegal ?

Why even market an "Air Charger" if you can install a cold air intake and get better performance ?

Thanks Again, with the info you guy's provide I will be making my choice soon.

ROB

Nail I3unny 10-12-2005 09:23 AM

blah. get a cai. its cheaper than 200 bucks if you look around