Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

1989 civic header!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Default 1989 civic header!!!!!!!!!!

i need a header for my 1989 civic love it to death would lie to know the best one to get??

Old 06-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: 1989 civic header!!!!!!!!!!

If you have the money, a bisimoto is the best you can buy. Unfortunately, the price tag on a bisimoto header is unbelievable. if you don't have the funds for a bisimoto, try DC Sports, Hedmen Hedders, or Megan Racing. All three of the lower-grade headers give about the same power gains; the DC, however, carries a price tag ofdoubleits counterparts

Old 06-16-2007, 03:33 PM

ok thanks ill check it out would you know of any good sites i can check on this at?????? and of the others which would be the best fro the price???

Old 06-16-2007, 04:04 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Well, if you live in a place like Cali, where the emissions testing and everything is really strict, you can't really get the Megan Racing header, since it's not 50-state emissions legal. That leaves you with the DC and Hedmen;honestly, they both offer about the same gains. So, I'd say go with the Hedmen Hedders Chikara header. It's $145 at http://www.summitracing.com/; mine was around $160 with shipping and everything. You might need this http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-O...P1767C320.aspx... it definitely makes things easier.

I'm not that familiar with older civics features (or maybe it's just the concussion that I got today that's keeping me from remembering), but do the 4th gens have catalytic converters?

Old 06-16-2007, 04:42 PM

ok so you'd say go with the dc and everyting not the bisimoto right? also thanks andi live in utah emissions not as strict but would the megan header be better??? jw and thanks

Old 06-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Super Cereal Admin

If you have the money, bisimoto headers are absolutely the best you can buy for a civic. Unfortunately, they're $500+. If you can afford to spend that much on a header, without a doubt, go for it!!! You won't regret a bisimoto. They gain somethingaround 10hp at thewheels on a stock civic. Hey, they built the world's fastest SOHC civic; I think they know what they're doing

If you don't have $500 or more to spend on a header, go with something like Hedmen or Megan Racing. They still offer good gains (but not as good as bisimoto's 10hp), and are a lot cheaper.

http://www.hadamotorsport.com/tech/r...emc/index.htmlhere, this might help

Old 06-16-2007, 04:52 PM

ya that helps a lot and good info thanks.. also i just bought this it has an intake that is it also im saving up for a k20a engine what else would be something easy and affordable for some more power???

Old 06-16-2007, 05:04 PM
Super Cereal Admin

good luck saving up for a k20... those things are amazing, but expensive. Anyway, since you're getting a swap, I wouldn't sink too much money into the motor you have now, so I'd say keep things naturally aspirated.

So, the next step after a header would be a cat-back exhaust. They're usually $400+, and please don't get a cheap one off ebay; they tend to sound horrible. Also, make sure it's a cat-back. A muffler on stock tubing won't do anything, and an axle-back won't gain as much as a cat-back. If you plan on keeping your stock engine for a while before swapping and the 10-15hp or so that an i/h/e gains just isn't enough for you, the next step would probably be a new cam. A good street cam usually gains 6-8hp or so. You can get a stage II cam that will gain a bit more power, but the powerband is usually past the stock redline, so you'd need to upgrade the stock valvetrain, which means more money.

Personally, since you're planning a swap, I'd stick with just an intake/header/exhaust as far as the motor goes. If you absolutely must buy car parts, I'd say work on the suspension and everything; it's what I'm doing (I'm swapping my D16 for a B16 in a year or so, so I'm not really doing much to the stock Z6)

Old 06-16-2007, 05:13 PM

ok ya thats smart thing and ya i know its a lot im saving hard time for it..... and ya ok so an exhaust and i think im going to switch out the short ran for a cold air one but still go for the header.... and exhaust ill do

Old 06-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Super Cereal Admin

If you already have an aftermarket short-ram intake, I'd say keep it. At most, change the filter. The power difference between a short-ram and cold-air intake is very, very minute (like 1hp or less).

Another thing you can do to gain a little bit of power back (if you haven't already done this) is to do a general tune-up. Replace the spark plugs, wires, air filter, etc. And just as a little side note, just get stock replacement spark plugs and spark plug wires; the stock ignition system doesn't fail until over 500hp. Also, using seafoam could probably help, too... I need to remember to seafoam my engine soon.

Quick Reply: 1989 civic header!!!!!!!!!!