HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   7th Gen ? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/7th-gen-9938/)

bchap05 09-07-2005 02:15 PM

7th Gen ?

Hey this is my first post, anyways I just bought a 2001 ex coupe. I had a 2001 ranger that got good mpg for a truck but with gas prices where they are I wanted better. I have searched the forums and found a lot of information on intakes but a lot of it is on pre 7th gen. On the 7th gen civic the dyno results from AEM and K&N barely show an increase over stock. I know that an intake isn't going to make an amazing gain but the older gen civics dynos were showing bigger gains than the 7th gen. With the AEM CAI the max gain was only 2.2 hp and the line is almost identicle to stock. The V2 gained 5.5. The surprising thing was the the short ram gained 6.6. The short ram was tested on an automatic and the other two on a manual. After reading through these forums I was leaning toward CAI because you should get more power, but the dynos show the Ram with more. What would be the best way to go? Would there be a big difference between the manual and auto in testing because they don't show the manual with a Ram? Thanks

dj_ipirate 09-07-2005 03:51 PM

RE: 7th Gen ?

ok i have a red 01 coupe. i just bought it myself. but i would say go with the v2 but you cant really rely on the dyno test cause you have to add in elevation and temperature. when your engine is hot your short ram is going to feel..... short but its all worth it and fun. but im geting a v2 myself. but im doing it manly for the noise.

Ray012874 09-07-2005 03:56 PM

I bought the Injen Short Ram and I felt the difference. Slapped on an exhaust system and it was even better. I'm working on the first steps, intake, header and exhaust. A few more mods and I'll be satisfied (not). I will never satisfied until I beat every car in NY. LOL!

Nail I3unny 09-07-2005 07:48 PM

ORIGINAL: dj_ipirate

ok i have a red 01 coupe. i just bought it myself. but i would say go with the v2 but you cant really rely on the dyno test cause you have to add in elevation and temperature. when your engine is hot your short ram is going to feel..... short but its all worth it and fun. but im geting a v2 myself. but im doing it manly for the noise.
wow...good response. elevation will make a difference because the closer you are to sea level, the more air is in one area. when you get to new mexicos average height (6000ish) your gunna be getting about half the oxygen with one breath than if your where i am in michigan (700ish) (btw i know this because i backpack in new mexico a lot). same thing applies to your car. thats gunna make a few horses difference on a car. and with as big as the world is...chances are there arent many dynos out there for intakes at your elevation.

bchap05 09-08-2005 09:36 PM

Ok I think if I decide to spend more I would get the V2. But I'm not sure if I want to spend that much, and I'm more likely to go with the Aem short ram. So if I wanted to spend around a 100 or so would it be better to get an Aem short ram which I could get for like 105 or by a cheap CAI and put a k&n filter on it? The main thing I would worry about with the cheaper pipe is the fit and sound. I was also thinking about maybe the Injen but there expensive and I can't find the extension pipe for the 7th gen so it would be short ram only unless there is one that I couldn't find. I had a non name brand intake on my ranger and it worked good I noticed a difference and it sounded good, but the ranger intake was pretty basic.

ngoti 8tor 09-08-2005 10:09 PM

I have heard that the AEM CAI for a 7th gen is actually a SRI anyways. Don't know if it's true, but several people were complaining that they ordered the AEM CAI and were wondering if they were sent a SRI instead.

bchap05 09-08-2005 10:14 PM

hmm.. that would suck

Si Jonny 09-09-2005 01:03 AM

The AEM CAI for the 7th gen does leave the engine bay. The V2, which is classified as a CAI, doesn't. Its like a SRI but it extends a little farther and down, near the tranny. Mine actually is about 2 mm away from the shift linkage. Its supposed to be able to bring in cold air from there too. The normal CAI routes it out under the battery, right behind the bumper. Most websites that install the V2 recommend buying pipe insulation and give it a good wrapping to help keep the temp down. Havent wrapped mine yet but I plan to within the next 2 weeks.

Nail I3unny 09-09-2005 09:28 AM

THE V2 IS NOT A CAI, IT IS A UNIQUE DESIGN AND UTILIZES DIFFERENT TECHNOLIGY FROM THE CAI AND SRI

Ray012874 09-09-2005 11:16 AM

I think he busted a pipe.