HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   97 exhaust suggestions (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/97-exhaust-suggestions-87433/)

mrivas1114 01-28-2011 07:38 PM

97 exhaust suggestions

Hey guys,
I got a 97 civic ex and i have been putting money into it a little by little. Just put in a new clutch and im looking to put a exhaust system. any suggestions?

also, would it be a bad idea to put a exhaust system in as my first preformance upgrade? just got my windows tinted and my car shinning and im looking to give my car a little kick!

Thanks

cvcrcr99 01-28-2011 08:46 PM

youtube.com

Search "Civic exhaust", pick what you like. I currently have the Apexi WS2.

Exhaust is fine.. However, it will not give you any sort of "kick". Bolts on do not do much on these little 1.6 motors.

MaximusFunk 01-29-2011 04:50 AM

I would get a CAI or SRI before exhaust. It's MUCH cheaper, takes 10 min to install, and in my opinion is slightly noticeable, where as having an exhaust was only noticeable when passing people at interstate speeds.

SRI will also make your car sound more muscular under acceleration, whereas an exhaust can just make you car sound obnoxiously loud if you dont get the right one. even if you like that now, your taste may change if you have to live with a fart can for a year or two.

In order to really get a noticeable gain, you need intake/header/exhaust because they work together synergically to make your engine inhale and exhale easier. However, if you only get one, intake is the most logical to install on it's own.

but as cvcrcr said, you wont get much of a gain and after all the money you spend on the three, you could have done a b-series swap rather than get 15hp if your'e lucky from bolt ons.

cvcrcr99 01-29-2011 06:09 AM

i/h/e on a 100% stock set-up would be lucky to see +8 hp.

OP, if you plan on modding this car for awhile, what are your goals?

mrivas1114 01-30-2011 02:28 PM

Thanks guys. Your input really helped me save some money. About how much could you get a B-series swap?

I really just want my car to be a fun thing to drive. I have no intention on racing professionally or anything. Just a young guy looking to have a sweet ride!

MaximusFunk 01-30-2011 03:04 PM

it depends on location and luck. I see b18's now and then on VT craigslist going for about 600, but i dont know if thats how it is everywhere. keep in mind, you would still need a tranny, and other parts as well.

my suggestion would be to make up a list of every part you would need, and then periodically check ebay and craigslist until you have acquired everything you need accommodating to a budget you are happy with. if you are in a hurry, the project will cost a lot more than if you are patient.

Another avenue would be to keep an eye out for a cheap integra or (although not usually as cheap) a civic SI, and get it as a donor parts car.

I was also assuming you planned on doing the swap yourself, but if not, labor would be substantially more.

I am not really the best person to ask about this however, my information is just what I have picked up here and there. your best bet would be to research it yourself or ask someone who has done it.