HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   98 lx headers (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/98-lx-headers-10422/)

mynmisoli 09-19-2005 03:47 PM

98 lx headers

My stock manifold is cracked so instead of buying a new one for 500 bucks from the factory, I'd rather upgrade to cheaper headers. What should I get? Keep in mind that tthe car still needs to pass SMOG and is my daily driver. Thanks

Clean98EX 09-19-2005 05:29 PM

RE: 98 lx headers

You know, you could run an entire EX exhaust. From the header back. With a new header, cat and cat-back exhaust, it would pass emissions testing and you could probably do it for around 500 bucks. Headers for lx models can be hard to find, but EX stuff is REALLY easy. Just an idea, hope it works out.

mynmisoli 09-19-2005 05:51 PM

I dun't know how that would work. Are you saying get an LX header for an EX exhaust? Get an EX header set for an EX exhaust? Sounds like it wouldn't work.

Clean98EX 09-19-2005 06:24 PM

No, you could run a COMPLETE EX exhaust. because the cat on an lx is in a different place than on an EX. If you had 500 bucks, you good get an EX header, cat (stock even), and a catback exhaust. the only thing that could be a problem is the o2 sensor on the cat. the wires mite not make it to the new cat. The piping would work though. Is it a coupe or a sedan?

mynmisoli 09-19-2005 06:28 PM

98 lx, 4 door sedan I believe. So I can get headers and an exhaust designed for an EX and put it on an LX? That just doesn't make sense because every product for the two always make different models for each car.

Clean98EX 09-19-2005 06:36 PM

They do that because of the cat location. but with the new cat location it wouldn't be a problem.

mynmisoli 09-19-2005 06:43 PM

is the length of the ex be shorter than the lx since the lx is a 4 door? are ou saying it wouldnt have any problems with the positioning? theres alot of stuff to take into consideration.

Clean98EX 09-19-2005 06:45 PM

EX's were made in sedans

mynmisoli 09-19-2005 08:36 PM

OK, so say id i get.......DC headers made for the EX and find a stock ex exhaust, I should have no problems with the installation and the emissions?

Nail I3unny 09-19-2005 09:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Clean98EX

EX's were made in sedans
wrong. EX's are coupes and sedans. then the DX is a stripped EX coupe, the LX is a stripped EX sedan. other than that your right. you could get a full exhaust system and it would work cuz the only difference exhaustwise between the EX and LX/DX is cat placement. so if you get an EX header for your LX sedan...you will have to get an EX exhaust too. and itd be a good idea to replace the cat at the same time.

im not sure if tip placement of the exhaust is different...i dotn think it is tho. but if it IS different, you could also get an EX rear bumper for like 200 bucks (make sure its the same color please :)) and slap it on there. then youd be all set.