HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Advice/Suggestions Please (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/advice-suggestions-please-26960/)

Thrain98 08-09-2006 06:28 PM

Advice/Suggestions Please

First off, I'd like to say that I'm very happy I stumbled upon this forum, you guys really seem to know your stuff! I've been researching, reading and studying on here quite a bit since I found it. I just recently got my first Civic and am planning on doing some mods to it, and seeing how I know virtually nothing about cars I could use some advice/suggestions from you guys. I have a 02 Civic EX 4dr (auto tranny). This is what I'm currently planning on:

Injen CAI
Matrix headers
Greddy EVO 2 exhaust

Does this sound like a decent setup? At some point, much further down the road I'm thinking about adding a turbo system and possibly a NOS one too (but this is much later after i've saved up some money after doing the current round of upgrades, including the visual upgrades planned after these performance ones)

Also, what other (performance) upgrades can I do to this car?

Advice/suggestions/Opinions?

civicexracer 08-09-2006 07:04 PM

RE: Advice/Suggestions Please

dunno about the matrix header but the intake and exhaust are good. honestly i'd just save up that $600 or w/e u'd spend on those mods and put it all towards ur future turbo kit. and maybe consider a manual tranny swap if u have the funds. u'll end up getting rid of the header and prolly the intake aswell. as for exhaust, u could keep it tho it will restrict some power from the turbo later on..

Thrain98 08-09-2006 07:17 PM

Ok, this might be a dumb question, but I've noticed in other people's posts that they're always told to skip the header if they're going to go turbo... I take it you can't have both? What's the reason for this? Why would I need to get rid of the header and the intake to get the turbo? I take it from that the Evo2 isn't good for a turbo? Is there a version that will work good with the turbo? and if there is, would there be disadvantages to getting the (turbo) exhaust now instead of the standard evo2 just to replace it?

pWnEdU 08-09-2006 08:23 PM

None of that stuff is going to be able to be used if you boost, so just save your money.

A header will NOT work with a turbo, because you need a manifold, which is similair to a header, except it is made so a turbo can be bolted to it and is much stronger to support the weight. Some are cast, some are stainless.

Don't waste your money on an exhaust you will just have to change.

Thrain98 08-09-2006 08:35 PM

Thanks, I was starting to get the impression that the header wouldn't work with it, although I wasn't quite sure why. Would I also be correct in assuming that a CAI would not really work with a turbo as well, considering the CAI is more of a NA product vs the turbos FI based? Yeah I don't think I would like to get the exhaust just to have to buy another one anyway, thanks. Are there any negative effects if I were to just get an "turbo ready" exhaust prior to adding the turbo?

BillyB98 08-10-2006 12:08 AM

Turbo exhausts are normally a larger size to allow for the increased air flow. A normal n/a exhaust is anywhere from 2-2.5in but a turbo can go from 2.5-3in. So if you get a larger turbo ready exhaust with out the turbo it will allow to much air flow and no resistance so youll lose some power until the turbo is installed.

smit3413 08-10-2006 12:21 AM

yeah save up. and the CAI won't work because your intercooler pipes replace the intake, so you'd be replacing the CAI anyways with the intercooler pipes... so you don't need one now if you are getting turbo in the future. and for the exhaust, i would just get it when you get the turbo like the other guys have said. no reason in doing otherwise.

Thrain98 08-10-2006 06:11 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it! Aside from adding the turbo and the new exhaust are there any other performance upgrades I can do?

BillyB98 08-10-2006 11:13 AM

save up for a swap and turbo that if you want to wait till you get the money. Otherwise do some suspension work and work on the engine internals.