HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   air intake question.. (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/air-intake-question-91123/)

GeekNinja17 10-31-2011 02:47 PM

air intake question..

so i have this 1990 civic and ive been wanting to know if it was worth getting an air intake and what kind would be a best option for my little hatchback?? plz give me some feedback on this guys

cvcrcr99 11-01-2011 08:43 AM

It is not worth it, unless you only want it for visual appeal. You will gain 2 hp at most. The pipe can be a no name brand, but make sure you get a good quality filter like K&N, or AEM Dryflow. The filters which come with the cheap eBay kits aren't good IMO.

GeekNinja17 11-01-2011 09:18 AM

Thanks for the iput..it's the first reply I get in all the posts I've made haha. I pretty much want it for looks..the hp is just a tiny bonus I guess. But I can pretty much make my own pipe out of aluminum which I'm guessing it's what theyr made of. But another question. I have stock rebuilt engine and I've seen that most intakes are for cars with swapped engines. Is this true?

cvcrcr99 11-01-2011 10:53 AM

Usually, swapped vehicles are "different" Each intake for each motor/vehicle Honda made is technically specific to the chassis and motor. If you swap an engine from say, an Acura Integra, your Civic intake may or may not fit. The Integra OEM intake will probably not fit.

Going with an after market intake set-up is just easier to deal with and easily customized.

If you are located in CA, you might have a problem with smogging (or whatever they call it over there) since a random pipe and filter are not C.A.R.B. approved. If you have to get something C.A.R.B. approved, you are looking at buying something name brand, which will probably run you about $200 at the least.

GeekNinja17 11-01-2011 02:26 PM

Alright well thanks for the info. :D

GeekNinja17 11-01-2011 02:41 PM

Say where could I buy such C.A.R.B approved intake?

cvcrcr99 11-02-2011 05:50 AM

You can get them from eBay, or other vendors. Look on Hondatech.com's marketplace for vendors. You are probably going to have to pay more money for a name brand, C.A.R.B. approved intake kit. The only thing which comes to my mind is the AEM intake system.

GeekNinja17 11-02-2011 06:04 AM

Alright I think I'm just goin to end up custom making my own pipe. Worst case scenario I get pulled over and get a fixit ticket. That way a just buy the AEM filter and I'm done

cvcrcr99 11-02-2011 07:55 AM

I seriously suggest that you look into this before buying anything.

I believe the intake pipe itself needs a CARB approved sticker (with serial number or something like that). So if you do get a fix it ticket, a new filter won't help.

GeekNinja17 11-02-2011 08:23 AM

Oh yeah I'll definitely do my research for sure. And I'll just keep my stock parts just in case. I've never been pulled over before but who knows? And thanks again for all the help.