HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   air intakes in winter (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/air-intakes-winter-4713/)

mill$civic 04-16-2005 05:10 PM

air intakes in winter

i live up in barrie ontario canada, i was wondering if putting a intake or even more a cold are intake on your car, will the cold winter weather and snow affect it. The resone would be that alot of snow and water would get to the filter expessialy if its cold are and put alot of mosture into the motor,also i think i would have a bit of a problem starting it in winter with all the cold air inside. comments??

Nail I3unny 04-16-2005 05:33 PM

RE: air intakes in winter

the colder air might actually help ur engine but u dont want snow up your intake so if ur concerned keep the stock intake for winter

D16z6 04-17-2005 11:07 AM

or maybe get a bypass valve.

cnote 04-18-2005 12:53 AM

im also in ontario, and was wondering the same thing...
also, on how the bypass valve works, theoretically it would eliminate all chances of water getting in there? and i should only be worried if i am completely submerging it??

ngoti 8tor 04-18-2005 07:32 AM

I'm in Toronto, Canada, not too far from Barrie. I have a CAI on my car now and haven't had any problems in the past 3 years with it. Just make sure water from puddles or anything like that can't get to the filter.

Remmy 04-18-2005 01:40 PM

From what Ive been told a couple of times, winter eats gas mileage

mill$civic 04-18-2005 03:22 PM

ok..i think in winter it would be better to put in the stock intake just because we sometimes get alot of snow in barrie and if i put on a cold air,i dont want to be dragging it through the snow all winter, so in the summer on thos rainy days sometimes, it would still be alright to have a cold air intake if u have a bypass valve?, but what about thos things that cover the filter and its water proof ? anyones use thos?? , i dont think it would be alot of work to stick in the stock one once a year and it will save my car

D16z6 04-18-2005 03:50 PM

It is true that bypass valve usually work when it is completely submerge but it also will help a little when its not submerge. Plus when spec of water get suck into the intake it will usually vaporize.

sickcivic420 04-18-2005 06:27 PM

why not get a short ram?

mill$civic 04-19-2005 09:54 AM

why would i get a short ram, there alright for getting air in but its warm air and its also has restrictions for air to get to it, cold are you get more COLD air and lots of air can get to it....
but i think what i ma going to do is put the cold on in the summer and keep the stock one in the winter