Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Best options for exhaust leek, b-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 04:59 PM
Default Best options for exhaust leek, b-pipe

So I have an exhaust leak. Acutally its more of a blow out, because the pipe has now seperated completely. It has seperated on the b-pipe after the bend, about 1 inch from where the connector to the muffler is.

I am happy with stock performance, and just use this as a commuter car so I just need an affordable fix. Guy at the midas shop said he wouldn't weld it and it would be 240 to replace the whole pipe. Local honda parts wants 190 for the whole pipe. Online 135+shipping.

I have already replaced the muffler with honda parts, mostly because they said once you replace it, you don't have to do it again (true right?)
Should I do the same with this b-pipe? Or is there a cheaper and more cost effective alternative.

Thanks for the help.

Here is the link to the online shop I would probally buy from. It is item 17
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...5=EXHAUST+PIPE

What would you do?

99 Civic Ex

Old 04-16-2007, 09:12 AM
Default RE: Best options for exhaust leek, b-pipe

cost me about $170 to replace that pipe on my 98 last year.... had rusted through right at the weld to the start of the resonator

i went to a secondary manufacturer... exhaust parts are pretty much the same across the board, they don't last forever (especially if you live in an area that gets a real winter)

Old 04-16-2007, 09:40 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: cderalow

cost me about $170 to replace that pipe on my 98 last year.... had rusted through right at the weld to the start of the resonator
^ mine did the same thing, i had my entire piping from the header/exhaust manifold redone with 2.25" piping for $160. Broguht my own resonator and muffler too, you could probably do that ericchile, just make sure to get a resonator and you could use the muffler you have right now. My car is a 99 just like yours and the ehxuast piping is getting kind of old and rusted i imagien, specially if you live in a snowy state, i say get the piping replaced custom by a muffler shop

Old 04-16-2007, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the replys.... as for going with the custom muffler shop what is the advantage?

I could buy the part with the resignator on it from Honda online for aprox 155 and just do it myself, unless there is a trick to doing it that I could not acomplish with all my sockets and my angle grinder? Or do you think it would be cheaper at some custom muffler shop?

Old 04-16-2007, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

^ you could do that if you dont care about perfroamce or sound at all, you can install it yourself with a socket/various wrenchs, jacks and a jackstand if its just the pipe between the cat and the axle back. I replaced my exhaust with custom higher peformance components because it'd be stupid to get brand new OEM exhaust parts and then replace them with aftermarket stuff in a few months anyway, but liek i said, if you just wanna keep everything stock in the futurei say just buy the new OEM midpipe.