Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Breather for CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 04:12 PM
HCF Member
Default Breather for CAI?

I got this from ProjectH's post talking about simple mods for free power...

VALVE COVER BREATHER:

If you have a cold air intake (I hope you do at this point). Get a valve cover breather instead of using that little hose that connects the CAI to the valve cover. Put the breather on your valve cover so the raw exhaust emitted (very little) does not end up in the intake. Be sure to block off the hole you now have on your CAI instead of adding a breather here, as it would have no purpose.
Can someone explain to me what exactly that means? What are breathers? Where can I buy one? I am waiting for my CAI from the SIMOTA guy and I am always up for getting more... any other thoughts on this breather he talks about? (I have 04 Civic LX sedan 1.7l would it make a difference?)

Old 09-27-2006, 07:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Breather for CAI?

a breather on any car ricurculates the engines "blow by"back into the intake system to get burned in the combustion chamber
blow by is not raw exhaust - it is actually a combination of oil vapors & air & fuel that sneeks past the piston rings on the compression stroke -so the more your piston rings wear the more blow by you get
if you dont have 1 or if its clogged up the crankcase builds up pressure -them you start blowing out seals & gaskets
so i cant see how you would gain any power by just blocking it off at the intake side
the vapors that get sucked in are minimal
but thats just my rant

Old 09-27-2006, 07:10 PM
HCF Member

ummmm.... I dont understand... So breather is good or breather is bad? You reccommend just connecting the little hose on the CAI to the engine block? I guess I dont understand WHAT it is and not so much at what it does...

Old 09-28-2006, 05:37 AM
HCF Member

in a nutshell- a breather is good - i have mine hooked up to my cai

Old 09-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

It's circled in the pic, and you can get them pretty much anywhere, mine came from Autozone

[IMG]local://upfiles/2331/2A3C984F19664634BF6C8E4A7AC240AB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-28-2006, 08:56 AM
Administrator

what can i block the hole with? any suggestions?

Old 09-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Rubber or plastic cap of some sort from Lowes?

Old 09-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Administrator

thanks a lot man, good idea

Old 10-04-2006, 04:39 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AOL.COM

in a nutshell- a breather is good - i have mine hooked up to my cai
Hooked up to your CAI means you have a breather attached to the CAI or where the engine is (like the picture above)? Does it make any difference in performance or efficiency? Does it make extra sound then?

Old 10-04-2006, 10:38 PM

So from what I'm getting here is you PLUG the hole where your hose (on the CAI) to the engine goes, and instead use a breather where the hoes from the engine to the CAI would go. You would still have the Air Intake Temp Sensor connected right? Heres a pic let me know if I'm getting it right.

And then the open hole on the engine gets capped with the little read filter (breather) like Forty's pic above.
What is the purpose of doing this just wondering?

Quick Reply: Breather for CAI?