Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

CAI Parts Identification Help - Pics Inside

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 04:28 PM
Default RE: CAI Parts Identification Help - Pics Inside

But what about D? It is 'connected' to A. Right where the upper "D" label is. I can't take off A without removing D... and I've got this other hose... the 12" 5/16" Water Hose....

I REALLY REALLY appreciate your help with this....

Old 08-17-2005, 04:56 PM
HCF Member

A and D are just on the same harness. A should be the only thing you have to disconnect. As far as a "Water Hose" I have no clue. The fast idle valve is really just for cold starts in cooler climates, so I guess you could just plug it and remove it but maybe they are trying to get you to replace it with their new hose.

I can't recall exactly what my lower portion of "D" is doing, but I can tell you that the smaller hose is just flapping in the wind on both sides on my car.

Old 08-17-2005, 04:59 PM

Maybe because of age or heat or whatever but my "A" and "D" are welded together tight....

but I can tell you that the smaller hose is just flapping in the wind on both sides on my car.
Do you mean the breather hose? The breather hose (A) goes from the CAI, and doesn't it connect back into the top of the Valve cover (I thin that is what its called, the thing that say VTEC on it)

Man... my brain hurts....

<UPDATE>

Just called AEM... not an 800 number but they answered fast and the the info I needed. Yes part D is the mysterious water bypass hose. Part A and D are 'connected' thats why both need to come off.

I may still be wrong... but I am going forward! Next post should be my DIY in a day or two!

Old 08-17-2005, 07:34 PM
HCF Member

basically, you take out that metal thing, and put two rubber hoses in its place. A and D i think. thats the clean way to do it.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:18 AM
HCF Member

OMG! I just installed my AEM CAI on the same model car! I knew there was something weird about the metal thingie. I just left the metal thing in but disconnected the two hoses at A, and just connected the CAI to the engine with one hose. But sacicons is right; if you don't want your setup to be ghetto, then you have to take that metal beyotch off and connect one hose to both ends on A, and one to those on B. I'll "deghettify" mein CAI setup when I could, but hoses don't really come that cheap. Correction--I don't find them cheap.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:25 AM

NOT B!!! D!!!! I'm not sure why its called the 'Water Bypass" hose, when it contains anti-freeze... but whatever.

It was a Byotch to get off the Fast Idle Thermo Valve and the Intake Manifold... but I just took some plyers and yanked it as hard as I could... it finally gave. I guess the only reason you replace it is because it is attached to the Breather Hose and you have to change that.

All went well, and I took lots of pictures. Ironically the parts I thought were going to be hard were easy, and the parts I thought were going to be easy were hard. Oh well... live and learn.

Old 09-03-2005, 08:21 PM
mxs
HCF Member

OK, I'm just starting on my V2 install (2 weeks later) and I just need to pull out the intake air temperature (IAT) sensor, the breather, and the recirculation tube. I don't get any replacement hoses or anything, I just reinstall it all back in the V2 at the end...

Old 01-13-2007, 03:21 PM
HCF Member

sorry for resurrecting the thread, but i couldn't find any info about the size of the hoses that i want to replace. i just got a short ram intake made by aem and it didn't come with any replacement hoses. instead of taking the stock hoses out and measuring, i was hoping to get some silicon replacement hoses ready.

does anyone know the size of the pcv breather hose and the water bypass hose? is it a standard size like 10mm, 8mm or 6mm? i believe those two hoses are the ones that connect to the metal piece that joins the two hoses together. i'm going to try to separate them with new hoses. oh, i almost forgot, i have a d16y8 ex coupe 99

also any recommended vendors or manufacturers for silicon hoses?

Old 01-13-2007, 04:05 PM
Recognized HCF Member

im not a fan of the silicone hoses... i like the regular flat black hoses....

Old 01-14-2007, 06:52 PM
HCF Member

Are silicone hoses not as good as the stock flat black hoses? Any advantage to the flat black hoses?

I ripped out some hoses today. The breather and FIA Control Valve hoses both seem to be 10mm in case anyone needs that info. The silicone hose kit I got was from Pep Boys for about $25. It's made by 3A Racing.

Quick Reply: CAI Parts Identification Help - Pics Inside