Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

CAI or SRI

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 12:07 AM
HCF Member
Default CAI or SRI

I live in upper New York where theres alot of rain and snow, so I was wondering if it would be BETTER to get an CAI or SRI. Is one LOUDER than the other, or are they pretty much the same? Which one has more HP than the other?

If it helps I have a 98 civic EX, full catback exhaust system.

Please Help, any comments from New Yorkers?!

Old 02-07-2006, 12:10 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: CAI or SRI

Sorry one more thing, I waas wondering if its hard to convert the CAI into an SRI during winter

Old 02-07-2006, 01:32 AM

let me try 2 answer these in order..

1) the sri is louder than the cai
2) i believe dynos show that the cai MAYBE has 1-2 hp difference in the higher rpms..so basically..no difference.
3) yes you can convert it, i think it depends though..correct me if im wrong.
4) its totally up 2 you what you want, i have an aem sri and i love it, cost me 70$ oposed to a 200+ aem cai.

dont worry about that whole "hydro lock" thing, ive only heard maybe 3 stories of it ever happening. to have it hydro lock, you actually really need to drive your car in2 a lake..and i dont think you plan on doing that

Old 02-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

USE THE SEARCH FEATURE!

Old 02-07-2006, 09:55 AM

you gotta remember...they wouldnt make both if one was better than the other. they both have their pros and cons.
sri is good for better throttle response, better low range hp, but tends to get hot air a lot so a little less gains

cai is good for higher mid and high range hp, throttle response ...i dont know if theres really much of a difference til higher speeds, gets colder air so more hp. but yeah, if you go through a deep puddle if your cai is low you do have a high chance of hydrolock

Old 02-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Default CAI or SRI

oh forgot to add...you gotta think of what kind of engine you have too...sohc dont have that great high end hp..better low end, and vice versa for dohc...so you can even out your hp through your range or just make your low end good( at least thats what i've heard)

Old 02-07-2006, 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: nomoreavril

a deep puddle if your cai is low you do have a high chance of hydrolock
like an 12" deep puddle.

if you want both get an injen cai. they can convert to a sri. and please do not get an aem cai. and cut it to put a bypass valve on it.

Old 02-07-2006, 01:48 PM
HCF Member

Theres an AEM SRI on sale at Advance Auto parts for 80$, is that a good deal?.............Should i put a K&N filter on it instead ?

Old 02-07-2006, 01:55 PM

aem's filters are good. and thats a pretty solid price. dont forget to check ebay.

Old 02-07-2006, 02:20 PM

I got an AEM SRI and its great, no problems at all. considering the power difference between a SRI and a CAI are 2hp at most, i think its a better deal just to get an SRI and save the $150+/- for another performance part...$80 is pretty good, ebay will prolly be cheaper tho, depends on how soon u want it too..good luck!

Quick Reply: CAI or SRI