HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   cai worries (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/cai-worries-22071/)

justinprime 05-15-2006 02:49 PM

cai worries

So i installed my cai...

i notice a definite difference in sound...

performance wise there is a difference in mid to higher ranges like expected. Firestrike seems a little more eager to get going. i am worried though that my aftermarket exhaust is not large enough to make use of all the new air coming in from the cai. i think it's 2".

and is it possible that i could have hurt my performance in any way by getting the cai? the pipes are pretty damn wide. could this hurt me somewhow?

oh and now the car makes like a hissing noise. is that air being sucked in or being let out? i think that's the sound of it being sucked in coz i put my head down by my front bumper and it sounded like it was going into the filter. it makes the noise all the time, even when sitting idle.

o and one more thing... is it a bad idea to just install the air filter higher up on the piping? i mean more like an SRI. it should fit under the hood. i'd still be getting air from the front coming under the hood, so it'd still be cold air but it would have less distance to travel.

Remmy 05-15-2006 03:19 PM

RE: cai worries

not really. For your n/a car it should be 2.25 max and will be fine.

justinprime 05-15-2006 03:29 PM

what's an "n/a car?" like, i didn't specify what i have? like "not available?" if so, it's a 94 dx (civic).

riceburner700 05-15-2006 04:54 PM

n/a means naturaly aspirated meaning no kind of supercharger,turbocharger or nitrious... pretty much all MOTOR.... that hissing is totaly normal.. all cai do it... it should only hurt your engine if you get something sucked into it... like dirt or rocks, etc...

rit14623 05-15-2006 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: justinprime

i notice a definite difference in sound...

and is it possible that i could have hurt my performance in any way by getting the cai? the pipes are pretty damn wide. could this hurt me somewhow?

oh and now the car makes like a hissing noise. is that air being sucked in or being let out? i think that's the sound of it being sucked in coz i put my head down by my front bumper and it sounded like it was going into the filter. it makes the noise all the time, even when sitting idle.
The stock air box usually muffles the sounds that you are hearing.

mxs 05-15-2006 05:27 PM

is it brand name, or a generic ebay intake?

justinprime 05-15-2006 05:51 PM

generic ebay

mxs 05-15-2006 08:42 PM

those things are loud as hell. Also you might want to get a real K&N air filter for that.

justinprime 05-15-2006 08:59 PM

Yeah I'm getting a k&n filter fo' sho'. and it is pretty loud when i floor it, otherwise it isn't that loud.