HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   cat back or straight pipes? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/cat-back-straight-pipes-18427/)

Loki24 03-12-2006 08:13 PM

cat back or straight pipes?

I want a custom exhaust and i want it loud but not so loud that its anoying on the inside of the car. Would taking the cat off and replacing the headers and having a 2 1/2 inch pipe come all the way down be good for me? Or should i just go with a cat-back exhaust?

Pete 03-12-2006 08:56 PM

RE: cat back or straight pipes?

A brand name Catback is going to give you the best sounds. Look into Greddy EVO II, Magnaflow, APEXI N1, etc. Removing the cat usually makes it sound bad, like a stereotypical rice rocket.

Marty 03-12-2006 09:14 PM

Not really if you have a resonator installed it takes every bit of the raspy sound out of it and if you have to pass inspection you can pour a bottle of over the counter alcohol in your gas tank and pass the sniffer, atleast that is what my buddies in Cali do. Just pray you dont get a cop willing to crawl under your car to see if you have a cat or not

riceburner700 03-12-2006 11:20 PM

yeah that would suck some huge balls

FloppyRat 03-16-2006 07:22 PM

I have a SOHC D15b1 motor, with stock manifold, no cat, stock resonator, and no muffler. It's loud, and is a little raspy sounding, especially on decel. Wouldn't recommend it tho, as it will attract the cops. I did it cause my muffler was shot, and I was curious. I'm not curious any longer, me want exhaust system. LOL

Oh, done the alcohol trick, years back up in Tenn with a 79 Cam. Was running a 305 that was built out the zing zang, headers, true duals w/cat on each. Darn car would roast the tires thru all the gears and have to stop at every gas pump! I put roughly five gallons of gas, and two bottles of alcohol in her, limped her to the testing station. Got nervous, as they made me test twice. I remember the guy telling me that was the cleanest running camaro he'd ever tested. LOL But, man it ran like #$%&* that day!

mill$civic 03-16-2006 11:30 PM

cat back for sure...dont do strate pipe, for what it dose its not worth the hassle

Roost3r 03-17-2006 12:09 AM

heh straight pipes...

iv always wanted to do side pipes, but im to lazy. and would need a second civic

civicexracer 03-17-2006 12:40 AM

if you have to pass inspection you can pour a bottle of over the counter alcohol in your gas tank and pass the sniffer
i've heard of doing that but i think it has to be a certain amount and u have to drive with it for a couple miles to run thru the engine...seems a bit sketchy..

u should get a magnaflow catback, mine came with a resinator built into the midpipe along with an extra test pipe. keep the cat tho so if u have an inspection to go to, just throw it in there when its time and then take it off afterwords. 2.5in is to big, look for 2.25in. im going for an inspection next month so once i get that done, im gena put my test pipe in and see how it sounds. havnt had it in since i got my header and intake....

Crook_EG8 04-17-2006 10:18 AM

i got a Skunk2 catback exhaust and i ran strate pipe to it, sounds nice i think not all ricy lol