HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Check engine light (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/check-engine-light-9649/)

syo1632 08-31-2005 01:43 PM

Check engine light

well i got my 4-2-1 one piece installed....running it for two weeks with no internal problems...but wait....i drive for about five minutes and that dreaded orange light comes on. The installers told me they moved my oxy sensor when they installed the piece so i havent talked to them since....any suggestions on why this may be happening and any easy remedy to avoid paying more money (i already ran a search and i didnt find anything concrete to help me as im sure this question has been asked before)

p.s. i have a 95 ex...

dj_ipirate 08-31-2005 02:23 PM

RE: Check engine light

maybe the computer needs to be reset. pull the wires to the batery and let it sit for a good 5 min then plug it back and start it up. the engin light will be off but if it comes back on.... then you might have a problem. but most of the time it needs to be reset.

Chimera02EX 08-31-2005 02:30 PM

I have the same problem, its the cat thats attached to the DC header what I've heard works is to buy a HI-Flo cat like Magnaflow and get it put on. If you reset the ECU it'll take about 30ish minutes for the ECU to pop that lovely orange light on again. I've been driving mine around for a couple weeks like that, no problems just a little laggy on throttle response. My Hi-flo cat just shipped out yesterday so I'll repost when I have it installed and see if it fixes the problem.

mxs 08-31-2005 05:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Chimera02EX

I have the same problem, its the cat thats attached to the DC header what I've heard works is to buy a HI-Flo cat like Magnaflow and get it put on. If you reset the ECU it'll take about 30ish minutes for the ECU to pop that lovely orange light on again. I've been driving mine around for a couple weeks like that, no problems just a little laggy on throttle response. My Hi-flo cat just shipped out yesterday so I'll repost when I have it installed and see if it fixes the problem.
I thought I read on here somewhere that when your check engine light comes on, it goes into "safe mode" which means no vtec... Am I remembering that correctly?

Chimera02EX 09-01-2005 03:07 PM

No I can definately feel the VTEC kick in, around 4ish I can feel it. But it definately goes into some kinda safe mode, hence the laggyish throttle response. I should be getting my hi-flo cat any day now so when I get someone to weld it on I'll post back if it solved the problem.

syo1632 09-01-2005 06:31 PM

thanks a lot guys...i did reset and i believe it worked...havent had any problems yet...Chimera when you get that cat put on post a reply bcause id like to know if you sense any changes in noise or power...
by the way...do you know if the stock ECU for a 95 civic is programmable...someone told me it is but im not sure (he said 95 was the last year a stock ECU was programmable)

Street Sniper 09-01-2005 09:36 PM

Yeah, I got a CEL when I relocated my o2 sensor. That high flow cat will give you a nice increase.

As far as your ECU, yes it is programmable. 95 was the last year of OBD-1. You can get your ECU tuned or "chipped" and squeeze more power out of it.

Chimera02EX 09-02-2005 03:42 PM

*Bump*

I got the highflo cat today. Won't be installed till the 13th I'll update again then.