Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:37 AM
HCF Member
Default Cold Air Intake

What is a good affordable cold air intake? I've been looking at an AEM CIT, but I want to know if I can get the same performance for a cheaper price.

Thanks,

Joe

Old 12-06-2010, 11:20 AM
HCF Member

a cai won't get you gobs of horsepower. as long as you know that. i'd get some cheap ebay aluminum tubing. and match a k&n filter to it.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:44 AM

^^ Exactly what he said, unless you live in a state like California where everything must be C.A.R.B. approved.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:44 PM
HCF Member

So what would you guys suggest? Short ram or Cold Air? I'm not necessarily worried about horsepower, I mean the more the merrier I guess, but I just want whats best for the civic. I want it to run nice and good and get better mpg. That's why I figured I'd get the CAI. But I'm open to suggestions. I'm getting a good sum of money soon and am buying new headlights and tail lights along with a jdm grille and some coilovers

Old 12-09-2010, 12:44 PM
HCF Member

if thats what you want then leave the stock intake system. its reliable, works with the car, and looks the cleanest in my opinion. I would focus on suspension upgrades, like for starters, shocks and coilovers, front and rear camber kits if needed. that will be a great streetable suspension set up with plenty of adjustability to mess around with. just don't screw with toe in or toe out. but camber and ride height is fun to play with and a great way to learn more about your civic. if you screw it up too bad, take it to an alignment shop. but remember to use common sense, its the best tool out there. if you have questions, look in the FAQ section. if its not there don't hesitate to ask. thats what everybody is here for lol. but if you must spend your money on an intake. Short ram so you don't have to worry about hydrolock if you live in a wet and rainy part of the good ole U.S of A.

my civic is bone stock except for suspension always start with suspension and brakes. think about what kind of power you want and build the suspension and braking for that. no sense having a lot of horsepower if you car doesn't stop well and your suspension can't handle it. then do the body work and visual aspects last. id wait on the headlights and grill. oem looks sick as hell when cleaned up. keep your car looking super oem clean unless you want to dish out the money for a jdm conversion and paint matching. lol but do that last. are you getting a full coilover set? or the sleeves and springs? get the camber kits, and if needed polyurethane suspension bushings. the black ones from energy suspension. the red ones are cool looking but you have to grease them with special grease regularly. the black ones come with a pre applied lubricant that keeps them from squeaking as much.

Last edited by project91; 12-09-2010 at 01:05 PM.