HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   coolant whoses on throttle body and or intake manifold (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/coolant-whoses-throttle-body-intake-manifold-27858/)

thakid 08-25-2006 10:29 AM

coolant whoses on throttle body and or intake manifold

i know on other cars there are coolant whoses running through the throttle body and or intake manifold. is this also true for 1994 Civics and were are they located and if i should run a By-pass on them. so coolant would not run through them so i would make a little more power.

Nail I3unny 08-25-2006 10:40 AM

RE: coolant whoses on throttle body and or intake manifold

you probably wouldnt get any more power by doing that on these cars. the intake charge would heat up enough that it would negate any power gain you would make by not having to pump coolant to the IM/TB.

thakid 08-25-2006 10:42 AM

thanks. would having a hood scoop make a difference. because i am thinking about cutting my hood and adding a hood scoop and making a air box and connecting it to the scoop

fglaustin 08-25-2006 11:15 AM

well, your first post had me lost - this one that i am responding to makes sense.

i have a post here that covers the very same topic. response that i first got did not even recognize it as a cold air set-up. cooler than under the hood where some of the cia's terminate or wheel-well.
then the posts were about how ugly it would look. but driving around shortly after that, and taking notice, i was surprised to see the number of vehicles that have just that (the small suvs especially - but the hood is designed like that; dont guess that it is a functional set-up or not (am interested in finding out)). So, i guess the post about being ugly just may be right - but like most uglyness, it's in the eye of the beholder.
you can get the plastic scoops off of ebay fairly cheap. they say they can be painted - dont know how the paint will hold up though.

thakid 08-25-2006 11:30 AM

i thinik i will get one off Ebay and make the air box to fit were the factory box was.

fglaustin 08-25-2006 11:55 AM

i thought there would be something on the aftermarket that would bolt right on - did not find anything. i was at pep boys a short time back looking for what i could use as a mod.
i would like to use the aftermarket circular chrome (open circumference) air cleaner by K & N (not sure if that is the manufacture - but there are 2 to 4 different ones around here). think it is 9 inches in diameter. i also wanted it to take another size air filter to get away from the costly (as compared to years ago) expense of air filters.
the problem in my idea is the diameter of the throttle body. think the opening and the gasket is 2 3/4 inch. need to go from that to whatever is the bottom diameter of the chrome bottom plate.
with some mods and what i found at pep boys - i think i can do it.
may be a while though - just do not have the money to spend on that at this time.

thakid 08-25-2006 12:42 PM

good luck to you it is not as hard as u you think. it is as hard as you make it.

fglaustin 08-26-2006 03:15 PM

Mr Gasket has the different sizes of open chrome air covers.
might be a few months before i get to it.
if successful - will make a new post