HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   Custom Exhaust? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/custom-exhaust-8920/)

althius 08-15-2005 12:22 PM

Custom Exhaust?

So, please 'splain to me about this 'Custom Exhaust' thing. Am I correct in thinking that it is NOT the muffler or the tailpipe that makes the car 'breathe' better? It is the pipes from the cat to the muffler, correct? And the muffler is really about sound? Could I buy just the pipes of say an EVO2 and then have a custom ehaust place put on a quieter muffler with a small, non-ricey pipe?

Is there a better option? Am I completely wrong?

Thanks again.

ngoti 8tor 08-15-2005 12:41 PM

RE: Custom Exhaust?

[/quote]
it is NOT the muffler or the tailpipe that makes the car 'breathe' better? It is the pipes from the cat to the muffler, correct? And the muffler is really about sound? Could I buy just the pipes of say an EVO2 and then have a custom ehaust place put on a quieter muffler with a small, non-ricey pipe?
[/quote]

The intake lets an engine "breathe" better and the exhaust system lets the engine "exhale" better.
A good exhaust system (this icludes the entire exhaust from the header to the muffler and tail pipe), will not restrict any exhaust flow. In other words, you can have high-flow pipes with a high-flow cat, and if you get a crappy little muffler that restricts the exhaust flow, then you'll be defeating the purpose of a high-flow exhaust.

Just remember: the amount that goes in, tries to go out

althius 08-17-2005 02:46 AM

I think I am with you there... so what is the solution for someone who wants good exhaust, but not a loud car. I would like an answer that isn't "The EVO2 sounds good". I know its relatively quiet and has a fairly 'un-ricey' sound... but I am talking about really quiet... like 'normal'. Is this possible? Or is a 'louder' sound inherent to any muffler that lets the car 'exhale' properly?

Thanks.

ngoti 8tor 08-17-2005 09:33 AM

Once I buy my Civic (should be finalized this week), then I finish paying it off (should be 3-4 months), then I'm gonna save up for a CAI and a full exhaust system. I'm the same as you, I want performance without the loud noise, so I intend on buying a header, high-flow cat, and get a shop to make me custom mandrel-bent pipes, then put on a custom quiet muffler with a 2.25" or 2.5" tailpipe.

Nail I3unny 08-17-2005 09:54 AM

see the thing is if the exhaust is bigger its gunna be louder.

althius 08-17-2005 12:12 PM

So it is NOT the muffler that makes it louder? It is the exhaust? Or is it a combination of the two?

Ngoti8tor - What does one look for in a custom quiet muffler? Do you get it at the exhaust shop, or will you have to order it?

StifflersMom 08-17-2005 02:18 PM

Putting on a restrictive muffler kinda defeats the purpose of having a high flow exhaust. Thats why most aftermarket exhausts use a straight-through kind of muffler.