HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Header, Intake, & Exhaust (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/)
-   -   D16Y7 Exhaust Manifold Compatibility (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/header-intake-exhaust-12/d16y7-exhaust-manifold-compatibility-94084/)

Koko4 09-04-2012 08:20 PM

D16Y7 Exhaust Manifold Compatibility

Hey guys...I found out my exhaust manifold has the dreaded "crack" at the Y intersection. I can smell exhaust fumes inside the car when the windows are up..I'm assuming this is part of the reason. The previous owner tried to weld it back closed, and it semi-worked. I also have a bolt broken off into the manifold, so only one bolt is holding the heat shield on currently.

Anyways, on to my question: what other exhaust manifolds are the same as the one I have now? I have a D16Y7 motor ... 1.6L non-VTEC, on a 1997 Civic LX. I was told I'd have to find a 96-98 Civic DX or LX and these should work? My exhaust manifold and catalytic converter seem to be one piece. I'm going to be calling some people on Craigslist to see if they have the manifold and it'd sure save some time to know the vehicles that would be compatible. Thanks for any help!

cvcrcr99 09-05-2012 08:22 AM

96-00 Civic DX/LX/HX/CX should work. Anything that is not an EX or SI in the 96-00 range.

Koko4 09-05-2012 08:45 PM

Thank you! I was debating whether or not I should try to find one used, or if I should bite the bullet and buy one online for $200-$300. In my county, I have to pass emissions yearly. I was thinking that since the catalytic converter AND the exhaust manifold are in one piece...wouldn't it be high-risk to buy one used, knowing that either the crack could occur or the filter could be bad/go bad? What do you think?

WellFedHobo 09-06-2012 05:26 AM

100% of those style manifolds will crack down the middle. There's really nothing you can do but buy one and hope for the best. But that gives you the opportunity to take your old one to a shop and have it welded properly so it'll be ready in the future.

JWilli97EKlx 10-29-2012 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99 (Post 781706)
Anything that is not an EX or SI in the 96-00 range.

just a question... i need clarification.

I was told even the EX manifold would fit on a y7 but you need the down pipe and cat with the manifold because of the y7 having the cat attached to the manifold.

Please correct me if im mistaken. Just trying to learn.

Edit... Found this while searching HCF, it was a sticky already, might help you out KoKo4, i know i learned from it.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...version-73237/

WellFedHobo 10-29-2012 10:56 AM

If you have a USDM EX manifold, then yes, you would need the header, downpipe, and cat, plus some modification to the rest of the exhaust. Because the catalytic converter is separate and twice the size of the DX cat, you would have to have a shop cut some of the pipe off and weld the pipe to make it fit. You would also need O2 sensor extension wires. (Better to buy actual extension harnesses than to splice wires.)

A CDM Civic EX = USDM Si, which would have a different engine. (B series versus D series.)

Koko4 10-30-2012 09:03 AM

Thanks guys. I ended up finding a replacement exhaust manifold / CAT combo for $170 shipped on eBay. I installed it and it works fine! Had to make the three holes that attach to the rest of the exhaust SLIGHTLY bigger, but other than that, it was a direct fit!

WellFedHobo 10-30-2012 09:17 AM

Just curious, what brand did you buy? I bought an aftermarket one and it stopped working after about 2000 miles.

zerojett 11-01-2012 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by WellFedHobo (Post 783013)
A CDM Civic EX = USDM Si, which would have a different engine. (B series versus D series.)

Actually, if we're talking EK here, it's the CDM Civic SiR that has the B. The Civic EX is a 4 door with a Y8.

WellFedHobo 11-01-2012 01:48 PM

Derp, shoulda remembered the SiR